New Discussion

Re: Move a enclosure StorageWorks MSA2000

angelusflm
Occasional Visitor

Move a enclosure StorageWorks MSA2000

Hello guys,

For a better understanding, i would like explain my configuration
I have 2 HP MSA 2012fc Dual Controller and 2 StorageWorks MSA 2000 extension

I have 2 HP MSA 2012fc Dual Controller because i have 2 environnement (Windows and Vmware)

My question is simple if i move the HP StorageWorks 2000 extension from my Windows environnement to my VMware environnement if i risk to lose the data on the SATA raid disk???

Thanks a lot for your answers, and i'm sorry for my bad english

Best Regards

Anthony B.

3 REPLIES 3
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

I assume that you have HP MSA 2012fc Dual Controller , both of them having additional disk enclosure.

In this case, if you remove the disk enclosure to a different HP MSA 2012fc Dual Controller , then you will be risking data, as the LUNs may be spread across.

If you just want to use the HP MSA 2012fc Dual Controller  which was used in Windows , to VMWARE as well , you just need to create a vdisk andpresent it to vmware volumes.

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello,

if you have a vdisk that is spread over extension shelf and controller shelf in one MSA2012fc you cannot move the extension shelf and keep the data.

If you're running out of host ports, you could get a SAN-switch or two and connect things there, then you could have the VMWare environment connected to both MSA2012fc. You could/should then use zoning to separate the VMWare and Windows environment.

angelusflm
Occasional Visitor

I'm not sure if i understood the answer.

In final, i would like just disconnect the cable of MSA 2000 extension from the first HP MSA 2012fc dual controller (Windows environnement) and reconnect this extension on the seconde HP MSA 2012fc dual controller (VMWARE environement)

But if i disconnect the cable and reconnect the cable on the second HP MSA 2012 controller, i risk to lose the data on this MSA extension ?