4873 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving Command View EVA to new server question

TimInColdLake
Occasional Contributor

Moving Command View EVA to new server question

Hi

We are upgrading one of our management servers and need to move command view EVA to a new server. I cannot find much info on it in the HP docs and do not want to make a mess of it.

Current is CV 9.2 on Server 2008 SP2 connect to a EVA 8100

Moving to CV 9.2 or newer (Suggestions) on Server 2008 R2 SP1 to the same EVA8100

Can I just create a new installation of command view, and connect to our EVA to manage it? I don't want to accidentally re-initialize or screw up something else. I already have a copy of the licensing and configured the fabric so all I am worried about is the actual install and configuration of the software

Any good docs on this subject? I can't seem to find any that specifically talk about this situation.

Cheers

Tim
13 REPLIES 13
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You can simply install the new CV.

After installation, log into it.  When you click on the EVA, CV will report that the EVA is being managed by another CV server.  At this point, you can just take control of it... and get rid of the old CV box.

While you should not need the licenses, it is always good to have a copy of them.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
TimInColdLake
Occasional Contributor

Excellent. That is all I needed to know. Last thing I need to do is bring down the EVA.

Cheers

Tim
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Just close the session on the old server, then install command view (I would use version 9.4) on the new server. CV will pick up the eva and all configuration and licences. This will not affect the running EVA at all.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

The new CV server will just ask, if it should be the new management station for this EVA. Remember to deinstall Insight Remote Support (if used) on the old CV server to have it unregistered in the HP backend and install it on the new CV server to have callhome working again.

Regards,
Sebastian
Harmony Rowland
Occasional Advisor

We are moving Command View 9.4 on a Windows 2003 server to Windows 2008 R2 and installing Command View 10.2.  When we open Command View 10.2 the EVA64-ENC is showing up under "Unmanaged Storage Systems".  What do we have to do to get it managed without messing up the current configuration on the Windows 2003 server?  Once we know CV 10.2 is operational on the Windows 2008 box, we are planning on shutting down CV 9.4 on the Windows 2003 server.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

CV EVA 10.2 is old too, better use 10.3.6!

However, you just need to take over the session in the new CV.

Question is if your EVA works with CV 10.3?

What model is it? What firmware?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Harmony Rowland
Occasional Advisor

What are the appropriate steps to take it over?  The web interface is so different between 9.4 and 10.2.  Also, do we have to get a new license or can we import the one from 9.4?  We don't have approval to go to 10.3 so we are staying with 10.2.  It's a EVA 6400 / FIRMWARE  XCS_11200000.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The license is the same since version 7 and stored inside the EVA. You will get additional instant-on licenses that come with CV.

If you select the unmanaged array you will get a question like "manage from this server?" or something, just say "OK".

Remember, check the firmware!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Harmony Rowland
Occasional Advisor

If something happens to our EVA6400 configuration when we take it over can we just go back to our Command View 9.x that is installed on another server with no issues?