5444 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving HP-UX host to other switch on the fabric

J. Bravo
Respected Contributor

Moving HP-UX host to other switch on the fabric

Hi!

I need to move one HP-UX host from Brocade 2800 to Brocade 12000. The storage resides on an EVA 8100, connected to the Brocade 12000. The picture of the actual situation is the following:

HP-UX host --- 2800 --- 12000 --- Storage

I would like to know if the device hardware addresses will change with the host reallocation, in order to make the vgexport/vgimport procedure before the SAN reorganization.

Thanks in advance!

Javier.
6 REPLIES 6
George Genov
Frequent Advisor

Re: Moving HP-UX host to other switch on the fabric

Hi,

Yes the HW path will change because the switch domain id will change. And in the formation of the HW path in HP-UX the switch domain id is a member.
Btw this is true for HP-UX 11i till 11v3. In 11v3 the HW path is based on LUN UUID so it will no changed.

BR

George
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You should be fine, as the hardware path points to the storage array (which is not moved, right?) and does not use the host's own Fibre Channel address.
J. Bravo
Respected Contributor

Thanks!

Then, even if the storage is not moved, the addresses will change?

I thought that the address is formed from the storage side not the host side.

Regards!

Javier.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I meant to say that the paths will not change.
J. Bravo
Respected Contributor

Thanks, Uwe!

I think the path will not change, but I'm going to make a test in order to be sure that will not appear problems. We have no test servers, so I have to do it in a production environment. When I finish the test, I'll notify the result of it and I'll assign points to your replies.

Regards!

Javier.
krusty
Honored Contributor

The device file is based on the path for the storage device, not where the HP-UX server is connected to. As long as the server can see the device, the device files will not change. If you do this online, the VG will complain and you will have to use the fcmsutil "replace_dsk" process. If you are offline and reboot, this is not needed - just verify the zoning allows access to the storage device.

Cheers,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"