1752642 Members
5533 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving Virtual Connect enclosures on the SAN

LVSsanman
Occasional Advisor

Moving Virtual Connect enclosures on the SAN

I have a new pair of DCX switches. I have ISL'd the prod 24000 switches into the new DCX fabric pair (A&B). Will move hosts over soon but there are also Blade enclosures with HP Virtual Connect modules. I will need to move these to the new DCX from the 24k, can I simply move cables from 24K to DCX without a zone change? Essentially the VC mods are managing the WWN's for the blades. I configured the zone info way back when I installed the new VC mods based on what I was given from VCEM. CanтАЩt imagine this changing just because I relocated them (VC Mods) from one switch to another but I need to ask the community what you think or if you experienced this before. Soft zoning only is used in this environment.
3 REPLIES 3
krusty
Honored Contributor

Re: Moving Virtual Connect enclosures on the SAN

By "soft zoning" I assume you mean "WWN zoning" which is actually "hard zoning" (i.e. ASIC based). If this is true and you didn't segment when you connected the ISLs, you should just move the cables and you will be fine.

See this thread for a detailed explaination on "hard" vs. "soft" zoning.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Storage-Area-Networks-SAN/hard-zoning/m-p/4452874#M38955

Cheers,

Curt

"In Vino Veritas"
LVSsanman
Occasional Advisor

I know the difference between soft and hard zoning, please reply only if you have an answer in regards to moving a NPIV management device on the SAN.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I don't see why it should be a problem, I do not have any experience with it though.

But I suppose you need to configure the port where the VC module connects for NPIV on the new DCX.