1753719 Members
4694 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Moving disks with data from one P2000 to another

mwg
Occasional Advisor

Moving disks with data from one P2000 to another

I am replacing a defective P2000 unit during the initial installation with an identical unit. We have put some data on the devices, which I would like to migrate.

Based on my reading of the manuals, I should be able to just move the disks to the new unit and power it up. Because the metadata with virtual disk and volume information is stored on the disks themselves, the new P2000 unit will pick up on the virtual disks and volumes from the disks and I'll just need to recreate the host mappings, etc.

Is this correct, or am I totally misreading the documentation? On some competitive products depending on the firmware version the storage unit will by default delete the metadata on the migrated disks, which obviously I would prefer to avoid. I've done a lot of searching on this but I couldn't find any good documentation on this. If there's something I missed out there I'd appreciate a pointer.

I will be backing everything up prior to the move regardless.

2 REPLIES 2
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can migrate disk between P2000.  You can gracefully shutdown both arrays.  Remove disk from Array 1 and migrate over to array 2.  If the FW is at the latest rev, you can use the SMU/CLI to take the vdisk offline for migration without taking down the array.

mwg
Occasional Advisor

John, thanks for your reply. I wound up doing this around lunchtime (powering down the old array as it needed to go back to HP), and it went without a problem.