7746 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving drives between enclosures on MSA1500cs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ranitha

Moving drives between enclosures on MSA1500cs

I have an array with two logical drives (both RAID 1) but it's created across two drives in the same MSA30 enclosure.

I'd like to have it on two separate MSA30s for obvious reasons. Is there a way to do get the MSA1500 to rebuild it using a drive in the second enclosure or do I need to create another array and copy the data manually?

I tried adding a spare on the second enclosure and removing a drive on the first. It successfully rebuilt the array as I wanted but I couldn't stop it from failing back to the original configuration once the drive in the first enclosure was replaced.

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Moving drives between enclosures on MSA1500cs

You can power off the MSA1500cs, move the disk drives and then power-on the boxes (MSA30 first, wait a few minutes, then start the MSA1500cs). If all fits well together, the controllers should pick up the new drive positions and update their internal metadata.

Make sure you have a good backup before you begin, there is very little you can do when something goes wrong and in the worst case you might have to start from zero to get everything going properly.
Ranitha

Re: Moving drives between enclosures on MSA1500cs

Your suggestion worked a treat. Thanks for your help.