HPE EVA Storage

NPIV - how to manually create vWWNs

manny0606
Occasional Visitor

NPIV - how to manually create vWWNs

Hi,

I have a BL890c i4 server in which an nPar was created already, HP-UX 11iv3 & VPARs/VM 6.1 software installed.

The server was purchased with 3*600GB disks, 32-core CPU, 768GB memory & 2HBAs (QLogic QMH2562). We need to create 4 VPARS on top of the NPAR with the available system resources.

As the nPar OS becomes the boot disk of first VPAR we will be using the internal disks for the 1st VPAR as primary root disk, root mirror and alt.boot (DRD cloned). So the other VPARs are planned to boot from SAN and we will use 2 LUNs from SAN as primary root disk & alt.boot for the VPARs. Since the LUNs are provided from the RAID 5 pool we don't need the third LUN as RAID-5 provides one disk redundancy.

Since the server has only 2HBAs, I hope we can use NPIV to create virtual HBAs and assign multiple vHBA to the VPARs to boot from SAN and also to assign LUNs for the applications.

I read through the NPIV port virtualization guide and it says we can use GUID manager to allocate IDs or can manually create vWWNs. I would like to assign the vWWNs manually because I never used the GUID manager. As an example in the guide the following VFC Port WWN & VFC Node WWN was given.

# fcmsutil /dev/fcd0 npiv_info

VFC Port WWN = 0x50014c2000000007
VFC Node WWN = 0x50014c2800000023

Can anyone tell me how can I proceed with my own vWWN within this range.?

I would like to know which field in this WWN ID I need to change to get the next vWWNs.