HPE EVA Storage

Need to suspend EVA CA throughout SAN switch upgrade ?

johnCatBE
Advisor

Need to suspend EVA CA throughout SAN switch upgrade ?

We're about to upgrade one of our redundant SAN fabrics from 5.3.x to 6.0.0c.

We're using Polyserve against EVA 8100s using CA ............am i being overly cautious or simply wrong in thinking that CA should be suspended across the switch FOS upgrades?

CA replication would take place across Fabric B of course (which isn't being upgraded yet)..........it's more the interraction of the Polyserve nodes, CA and the hiatus in I/O during the upgrade i'm concerned over.

thanks

john
7 REPLIES 7
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: Need to suspend EVA CA throughout SAN switch upgrade ?

Hi,
Yes, the switch works normally during Upgrade Procedure without any interruption. You can find some useful info here from page 170:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01415719/c01415719.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

the pain is one part of the reality
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,

as said the firmware is non-disruptive and knowing that the Suspend command is equivalent to logically breaking the intersite links and
that there is an Auto suspend/resume of DR replication activation if link between systems goes down
you need not suspend the the EVA CA replication during the SAN switch firmware upgrade...

johnCatBE
Advisor

Thanks IBaltay.......you've confirmed my hunch re. CA.

N.B. we had problems in the past as we were erroneously using Exchange-based routing with our SAN switches.

My only outstanding concern is how Polyserve 3.6 will behave across the process ie will it tolerate even a transient loss of its storage?

john
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
some ideas are described here from page 284 - Storage:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01519283/c01519283.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

yes, it is allways a good idea to touch/upgrade only one fabric at a time with a reasonable time between the first and second fabric firmware upgrade.
johnCatBE
Advisor

I posted this on the ESX forum.....we did Fabric A yesterday evening and all but the ESX stuff was ok.

Here's my post:
Hello

We're in the process of upgrading SAN switch firmware (5.3.0x to 6.0.0c) in a dual-fabric mixed environment (ESX Polyserve EVA CA Sun cluster )

Did Fabric A switches last evening .. no probs with unix hosts or even Polyserve cluster members but we lost VMware hosts - ie no failover to other untouched fabric.

Details are ESX 3.5 / UP4
HP Blades BL465c (G) using emulex lightpulse cards.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? I was concerned that it might be due to compatibility with 6.0.0c firmware?

thanks

John
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

John,
have you checked if proper multipathing does exist for the ESX servers?

It can be done in the CI-Client:
Inventory, select a/the host, goto the [Configuration] tab, select "Storage" - pathinfo is in the "Details" area.

Or from the ESX Service console:
# esxcfg-mpath -l
johnCatBE
Advisor

Uwe

Thanks .......

My esx colleagues were checking paths using the method you suggest and we can employ this later when.......

We are going to proceed to complete our Fabric B switches this evening (to 6.0.0c) - one of my ESX colleagues will be on hand to deal with any errant VM servers.

This is significant in the sense that our concerns in the past have been with the behaviour of our Polyserve SQL cluster (now 3.6) across SAN switch upgrades.

Now the issue is the apparent reliability of ESX.

thanks

John