HPE EVA Storage

New Disk adding procedure in EVA 6100

hashmi99
Occasional Visitor

New Disk adding procedure in EVA 6100

Hi

I have EVA6100 with dual controller with 6 disk enclosure each enclosure has 9 hard drive (146.8 GB 15K FC) that is starting from Bay # 3 to Bay # 11 and Bay # 1,2,12,13,& 14 are empty, all 6 disk enclosure have same configuration, I have 28 new hard drive which I need to upgrade in all enclosure in empty Bays.

I tried first in disk enclosure # 8 inserted new disk in bay # 2 then see the Command View new disk is appeared but disk # 6 that is on bay # 6 showing error (Loop Connectivity Lost) even I removed new hard drive from Bay # 2 but Loop Connectivity still showing then I did ungroup the disk then manually reset the disk and then add into the group again now disk is OK.

Can you tell me what is right procedure to adding new disk in the enclosure? and what is the steps?

4 REPLIES 4
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: New Disk adding procedure in EVA 6100

Hello.

your problem is quite interesting. EVA6100 is quite simple with 1 backend loop. So, here are steps for you:

1) read quite similar forum topic here: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Disk-Array/HP-EVA8100-Loop-Connection-Lost/td-p/5821991 ,  especialy post from (thanks) pointing to EVA disk placement http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/itrc-195/45806/1/EVA%20Disk%20Placment.pdf 

2) Check your enclusore numbering - must by the same as the document says - 1-4 enclosures, then 5 for controllers, then 6&8 to enclosures (there is no 7!)

3) if everythink is ok, maybe is your problem  EVA firmware related. Do you have latest XCS firmware (XCS 6250 for you EVA)?

4) if EVA XCS is ok, let check disk firmware - are you up2date? Try link http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3302267&prodNameId=3403416&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-109087-1 - brand new bundle form October 1st 2012

5) new drives you bought - are they official for HP EVA?

If everything is ok, this is case for HP support

Jan

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

What you did was OK you have to insert the new disks one by one with about one minute interval between each disk

to see that it is not causing an error . I think the loop went down because you have an old XCS what you need to do is reset the loop this can be done from the EVA control panel or you can reset the  problematic disk by doing a dummy disk firmware upgrade to that disk.

After you have inserted all the new disks and they are all seen as ungrouped you can add the to the existing disk group.

Regards

hashmi99
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for all who replyed to me, our issued has been solved, the hard drive which was showing disconnectivity form the loop the reset again and now is connected into the loop again and new hard drive adding procedure it's add one by one.

Thanks again ......

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Kudos welcomed... :)