108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New drive shows failed on install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin Spies
Occasional Contributor

New drive shows failed on install

Since is it getting harder and harder to find the 72GB 10K FC2 drives my VP has asked me to try one of the 146GB 15K Seagate ST3146356FC drives as a replacement option for our EVA 5000.

Problem is as soon as it is added the EVA marks the drive as failed and is not usable. I know the drive is a FC4 drive and my EVA is FC2 but everything I have read said that the drive will step down to the FC2 mode.

I also know that as soon as you add a larger drive into a disk group of smaller drives you may not get the extra capacity of the drive and that your sparing protection level will see the larger drive and take extra sparing space.

The drive is running firmware 0005 from seagate.

My question is why would the EVA mark a new drive as failed? Is this drive not compatible or do you need to be running a certain code version on the EVA to use it?
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: New drive shows failed on install

The EVA (at least up to the x100 series) does use special firmware, not the vendor standard APIs.
Kevin Spies
Occasional Contributor

I was looking through the firmware to find an HP load to put on it but it will not allow any firmware updates because it is showing in a failed state.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I don't believe there is any way to use non HP drives in an EVA5000.

A quick search on eBay will usually throw up some of the HP drives...

Cheers,

Rob