Re: No storage cell - Can't find storage in EVA8000

SOLVED
Go to solution
d0kt0r
Frequent Advisor

No storage cell - Can't find storage in EVA8000

Hi,

d0kt0r again here with same problems.

I've got first the thread 1458077, when i didn't get any result on a eva3000, with 1 controller hsv110. I mainly thought the configuration 1c1d wasn't supported and by the hardware, couldn't get a working configuration.

So, after that, we got more equipment for the lab : A second hand eva8000 (this was supposed to be pulled off from a working environment).
Consisting of : 2xhsv210, 2 shelfs m5314b, and 2 backend fc loops.

I will copy and paste parts of the initial thread, because the problem i have is exactly the same : No storage cell, and can't find any controller on the Command View.

The rest of the scenario is :
SAN Brocade Fabric Switch 200E.
Server(non HP) with FC card Emulex LPE1150. Operating System Windows 2008 x64.

With Name Server option in the brocade switch, can see the HP eva, and with the Emulex OneCommand, so, seems that the zoning is OK.

First tried a configuration (from a HP manual) 2c2d without fc switches, but couldn't see any storage on CV.
Tried 2 configurations here: One I found on this URL - http://www.visiocafe.com/downloads/hp/documents/VSD-EVA8000_2C2D.pdf (From this one I get also a FC lopp misconfig)
But from the one in HP manual, didn't get any error (except from the CV).

Yesterday tried with the fc backend switches, on same configuration 2c2d, and got some FC loop configuration errors.

Tried uninitializing system storage from the "master" controller, but without any luck.

Looking on the logs in HP command view directory (can't remember the path), it was saying something like "No storage Cell on 0.0.0.0.0.0.0" if it's any help (or something like "Can't find any SCell").

I will give any point to someone who can help me out with this :(

Thanks for the hard work guys.

Regards,
13 REPLIES 13
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, can you make a drawing or refer to exactly which back end configuration you have now? Also can you check the i/o modules in the disk shelves? Are they all of the same revision/part number? Can you provide which you have?

Is the cab / eab cabled too? With terminators on both ends etc? Do you see anything on the back of each enclosure? In the lcd or the error leds?
Ganesh Chichakar_1
Occasional Advisor

Could you please upload the supportshow and HPS reports from the server ?

what is the firmware on EVA8K and what is the CVEVA version.

Ganesh
d0kt0r
Frequent Advisor

Hi guys,

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01364500/c01364500.pdf

Pag 20 - Eva8000 2C2D Configuration.
Pag 32 - Eva6000 2C4D Conig (I tried this, because when we do the purchase, the 2 Backend switches were included, and on the disk shelves, and the protectors on the bottom connectors in the I/O Cards werent removed).

IDs on the shelves seems OK. The physical configuration is something like this :

HSV
HSV
Disk
Disk

The bottom disk Shelf is ID 03, and the upper one ID 02. So, I think the EAB part is ok. Yes, bottom terminator, top terminator, and the Y cable attached to both controllers ... No errors on the back, just 02 and 03 on the LCDs.

I will check the revision number of both shelves, but, theoretically, both shelves were working on another environment (seems almost new both too).

Supportshow? HPS Reports? Dont know this tools, but, the server which Im trying to access the EVA is a Dell Poweredge 1435.

I will get the firmware revision of the eva.
The command view version is 6 (still a lab environment).

Thanks for the input guys.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, supportshow is a CLI command that you can run on a brocade SAN switch to get support information.

HPSreport you can get from here:
http://update.external.hp.com/HPS/HPSreports/

- Your CAB is not according to the document. On page 22 you'll see that the controllers is on ID2. But, I think it should work anyway.

Loop switches are only used when more than four disk enclosures are used. Is it configured without loop switches now? What does it say in the OCP?

How does the back-end fc cabling go?

Controller A DP-1A -> Closest shelf -> Controller B DP-1A

Controller A DP-1B -> Last shelf -> Controller B DP-1B

Or how does it go?

With CV6 - are you using IE6?
d0kt0r
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
I have gone to the office today to check some of the stuff you have posted.
Checked first some of the zoning ... One mistake here, have been more alias to add on the zone. Added the new wwns, and, on the server, appeared 2 more "Generic SCSI array".

At the moment, is without the FC loops. Reconfigured the CABs as Johan said : Controller are ID02,upper id03,bottom id01.

About the cabling,
It is something like this.
HSV(slave)
HSV(master)
Disk
Disk

DP2A -> Disk Upper Right
DP1A -> Disk Bottom Right
DP2B -> Disk Upper Left
DP1B -> Disk Bottom Left

All green everywhere : Back Shelf, 3 greens on each I/O, 2 green with ID on the EMUs. Front shelf all green.
Controllers, have only 2FPs cables plugged on each controller on the back. All DPs/MPs ports green solid.
On the OCP, no error message.
Just one note here, I have 3 greens, but not the fourth. I have physical link status (I think the name was that), but the led down is off on both controllers (i think is called Virtual link).

The P/Ns of the shelfs are the same on both :
p/n:AD542B
p/n:AG572A
Rev a2
Rev a6
Series EK1505

OCS version on controller is HSV210-V6200.

IE version on the server is IE7.0.6002. On this point one note, when I try to access I have a certificate error, but, dont think that should be the issue.

On the brocades, on the name server, double check that the devices accesibles are everyone. Just one note, on the controller information it says :
Device Name : HSV210 - No SCELL - SR1142.

Johan, do you think that HPS Reports could get additional info about this? Would work on a Dell server?

Million Thanks all of you guys for your time.

---------------------
Hey, supportshow is a CLI command that you can run on a brocade SAN switch to get support information.

HPSreport you can get from here:
http://update.external.hp.com/HPS/HPSreports/

- Your CAB is not according to the document. On page 22 you'll see that the controllers is on ID2. But, I think it should work anyway.

Loop switches are only used when more than four disk enclosures are used. Is it configured without loop switches now? What does it say in the OCP?

How does the back-end fc cabling go?

Controller A DP-1A -> Closest shelf -> Controller B DP-1A

Controller A DP-1B -> Last shelf -> Controller B DP-1B

Or how does it go?

With CV6 - are you using IE6?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, ah man, I wrote something but it disappeared and then I closed that tab :/

If you're unsure about the zoning you can set a host port to direct connect and direct connect the server there.

XCS 6.200 supports win2k8.
As the release notes of CV6 is from 2006 - I do not think win2k8 works very well on it. Would you be able to try with win2k3/win2k even?

This LPE1150 - I cannot find this in HP SPOCK - if you find its HP equivalent name, maybe you can find it.. Have you tried other drivers/firmware on it? Do you have an "HP" HBA?

What is the status of the batteries? You may have to take off the plastic plate to see the leds.

I hope the EVA initialized now.

(I may have written something more but I don't remember :/)
d0kt0r
Frequent Advisor

Hey Johan,

Thanks for the input mate.

I will do the direct connection server<->EVA, didnt think about it, but I dont think the zoning is a problem here.

About the Win2k3, I can do it, will need some time for swaping the HD and reinstall OS, but I will do.

About the HBA, got this from here:

HP StorageWorks 4Gb/s single-channel PCI-E HBA (Emulex LPe1150) A8002A/FC2142SR

I cant remember it well (it was like 5-6 months now), but, I think i have installed on the w2k8 the driver of that HBA, without any problem so far.
I could try with another HBA, but as far as this server only accepts pci-e, the only stuff i have available are older PCI-X hba cards.

About the batteries, I can see through the plastic some green leds. The battery led on the controller front is also in green solid (maybe that means they are charging, but definitely they are not in red).

Take care mate, and thanks for the help.

Daniel.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey Daniel, I don't work with storage anymore (unemployed) so this is a way for me to not forget :)

Good stuffs, then it's not the batteries!

If you decide to try the DC way, check on HP SPOCK first, apparently some firmware/driver combinations do not support Direct Connect to the EVA6000 on Win2k8 x64.

According to HP SPOCK win2k8+FC2142SR(the firmware/driver)+EVA8000 should be supported.

However CV6 may not be supported with win2k8. Which is what I sincerely hope is the problem :)

What you can try before reinstall -> did you find the program cvutil? I suspect it was introduced in a later CV version but you may get lucky.

HP SPOCK is a little hard to get around but the URL is: http://h20272.www2.hp.com , you need a login, then you click on HBA on the left side, refine until you find your HBA and then it shows all the HP storage that it supports and drivers/firmwares.
d0kt0r
Frequent Advisor

Johan ...

I will never thank you enough for that briliiant comment about changing the OS to Windows 2003 ...

That was exactly the problem. Dont know why, but CV6 with Windows 2008 was exactly the problem.

Installed W2k3, installed the Microsoft Storport ... installed the Storageworks drivers ... and voil├Г┬б!!!

It was still direct connected the server to the controller, so I still need some handwork to get a proper configuration through the brocade switches, but, we have a solid point to work from :)

Awesome mate. My forever thanks.