HPE EVA Storage

Number of disks that can break

SOLVED
Go to solution
MarceloF
Occasional Visitor

Number of disks that can break

Helow
I have a P4400 EVA with 48 disks configured into 1 disk group, the question is, how many disks can be broken without problems
Thank you
5 REPLIES 5
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Number of disks that can break

"how many records can be broken without problems"? None. Data corruption is bad.

Did you mean physical disk drives? In that case, if you are using RAID1 or RAID5, one disk. If you are using all RAID6, two. When a physical disk fails, replace as soon as possible!

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

----------

If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

MarceloF
Occasional Visitor

I have one disk group configured with 48 disks and in the Disk Group, I have several Virtual disk that are RAID 1 or RAID 5 .

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Contact HPE EVA Support.

Have them help you figure out what is wrong.

If any RAID set is broken (not just degraded due to loss of a drive), the array will stop all IO to the affected virtual disks.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

If a disk fails, the array will re-organize to get fully redundant again. Same if the next disk fails after this reconstruction. This works as long as you have enough free space.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
MarceloF
Occasional Visitor

thanks