1753498 Members
4680 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: One trunk group with two ISLs has become two trunk groups with one ISL each

Cmorrall
Frequent Advisor

One trunk group with two ISLs has become two trunk groups with one ISL each

I'm reviewing SAN configuration and come across something I think is a bit strange. I have two SAN switches (not the exact same model but same version of FOS) that have been connected with dual ISLs per fabric for a while. I'm positive they automagically formed a trunk group when I connected them initially and added the trunking license, but now I see this:

switch1:admin> trunkshow
1: 46-> 32 10:00:00:05:1e:7b:c1:36 9 deskew 15 MASTER

2: 47-> 40 10:00:00:05:1e:7b:c1:36 9 deskew 15 MASTER

As you can see, there are two trunk groups with one ISL each between the two switches. When doing a performance review, I see that one of the ISLs peak at close to 400 MB/s, whereas the other ISL is doing perhaps one tenth of that. We are experiencing a general sluggishness of the entire data centre and I would like to resolve the above. This might have been an effect of a data centre move a while back, I do not manage this SAN on a day to day basis.

I'm uncertain on how to go about this, since I can't tear down both ISLs without a carefully planned maintence window.

Could I use portCfgTrunkPort to disable and then reenable trunking on one of the ISL ports and it will once again merge with other trunk group? I've not been able to find some form of mergeTrunk command.
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Can you provide a "switchShow" as well?
Cmorrall
Frequent Advisor

For the relevant ports:

46 46 012e00 id N4 Online FC E-Port 10:00:00:05:1e:7b:c1:36 "switch9" (Trunk master)
47 47 012f00 id N4 Online FC E-Port 10:00:00:05:1e:7b:c1:36 "switch9" (upstream)(Trunk master)
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

According to your trunkshow:
On "switch9" the ISLs are not on adjacent ports (32 and 40). They are not in the same trunk group. Trunk groups are usually in octets.
Ports 0-7, 8-15, 16-23, 24-31, 32-39, etc.
Ports 32 and 40 are in different trunk groups, so the 2 ISLs will not form a single trunk. You will have to move one of the ISL ports on switch9.
Switch1 reports that Port 47 is the main "upstream" link, going to switch9 port 40, so you should be able to move the other ISL without any fabric reconfiguration.
Since you have high port numbers, I guess you have a 4900, 5300 or a director.
On switch9 can you move the ISL from port 32 to port 41? (or any other free port in that octet 40-47)

Regards,
Stephen