HPE EVA Storage

OpenVMS and DS-KGPSA-EA

SOLVED
Go to solution
James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

OpenVMS and DS-KGPSA-EA

Does a DS-KGPSA-EA support multipath?
We have a AlphaServer ES40 with OpenVMS 8.3 and a DS-KGPSA-EA card.
13 REPLIES 13
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS and DS-KGPSA-EA

The adapter itself does not do multipathing. However, multipathing is embedded in OpenVMS. Well, for Fibre Channel it has been there since the first implementation came out in 1999.
James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

Does anyone know where to find information on configuring/using this device type?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

On a fresh adapter you might have to set:
P00>>>wwidmgr -set adapter -topo fabric -item 9999

That is described in the WWIDMGR manual. The multipath handling are plain OpenVMS commands and do not care about the adapter type.

Do you intend to do Boot-From-SAN? Which storage array?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi James,

What specifically are you trying to do ?
Does something not work ?

You'll find prerequisite details for the card here:

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/options/ases40/ases40_ds-kgpsa-ea.html

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

I see the device dqa0 (which is online) then a dqa1, dqb0, dqb1 which are all offline. I also see a device fga0.

I am currently just testing the access of the ES40 to a SAN, but I am looking to eventually setup a number of drives on the SAN and use them as disk drives on a ES80.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

DQA0 is the CD-ROM. DQA1... are programming errors ;-)

FGA0 is the Fibre Channel adapter (on the console you will see PGA0).

Fibre Channel disk drives should be named $1$DGA1..9999 (may even higher unit numbers). "$1$DGA" is hard-coded by OpenVMS.

The unit number must be provided by the FC-attached disk - that is a hack by putting the value into a vendor-specific SCSI page. Some arrays can't do that in which case - I am very sure - you won't see a disk on OpenVMS.

You can pre-check this on the console:
>>> wwidmgr -show wwid

An UDID of -1 means that the number is missing.
James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

I am not currently looking at setting up boot disk or dump disk on our ES40, and as such looking at the documention I should not need to run wwidmgr. Is the a documentation error?

I do not see any dg devices
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Correct, you only need to use wwidmgr to set up boot/dump devices.

If you can't see any DG disk devices within the OS, then you'll need to check that they have been presented properly to the hosts, and that the zoning on the SAN is correct to allow the servers to see the LUNs.

What storage system are you connected to ?

Cheers,

Rob
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

DG devices are not 'preconfigured' like some DQ devices.

You only see a DG device when a real Fibre Channel disk device is presented to OpenVMS *and* it defines a unit number. How to do it is device-specific and some devices cannot do it.
That's why I suggest you run "WWIDMGR -show wwid", because it can show disks without this characteristic (I often agree with you Rob, but not this time ;-)

Oh, and your hardware (it really could help us to understand your situation if you name it - here, again I agree with you, Rob ;-) MUST present a device (disk or controller LUN) at LUN address 0 and properly respond to inquiry requests - otherwise OpenVMS does not recognize any disks.