108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Operation Failed! when deleting a Virtual Disk in EVA4100

SOLVED
Go to solution
twin
Occasional Advisor

Operation Failed! when deleting a Virtual Disk in EVA4100

I created a vdisk with size of 1700GB in our EVA4100 in Continous Access Mode and put it into a DR Group.
Because of block size considerations (ESX Block Size 8MB on vmfs3 volumes larger than 1TB) we want to delete this vdisk, but i get an Operation Failed! with Status Code: 54.

When i try to remove the vdisk as member of my DR Group first, i get the same Error but with Status Code: 51.

Why can't we delete this vdisk ?

Thanks in advance !
13 REPLIES 13
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Operation Failed! when deleting a Virtual Disk in EVA4100

Don't know why you can't delete the DR_Group / vdisk, but it is not necessary if you just want a new VMFS. You can delete the old datastore in the VI/vSphere client and then use "Add Storage" to create a new one with the desired block size.
twin
Occasional Advisor

Thank you.
But we even have to delete the vdisk, too. It should be only for some testing. But now we can't get rid of it :-(.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Just found the advisory with the error codes: c01666271

54 means "Vdisk is a DR group member" - which we already know ;-)

51 means "Storage system connection down" - so there seems to be a connectivity problem. Does the CV-EVA server have access to both EVAs and are they BOTH under management ownership of this server (the icon in the left pane must not be grey)?
twin
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Uwe,

i'm not in office anymore, so tomorrow i will have a look at this.
Where did you find these advisories ? i searched long time for the EVA Status codes without access.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Advisories are part of the product support pages. Unfortunately, there are many products and advisories are sometimes misplaced or the back-end database does not reply with proper results. In this case I found it in the EVA-4400 section last year. I don't know whether it is/was available in the CV-EVA section as well (too lazy to traverse the pages right now ;-)
twin
Occasional Advisor

Both EVA's are green in CV and have a "good" connection state.
I already restarted the CV Service and even rebooted the Server. Still getting Status Code: 51 when trying to delete member of DR Group.
All connections seems to be good and i have no idea.....
twin
Occasional Advisor

Hi Uwe,

we could solve the problem by following the steps posted in this thread: http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1272436450452+28353475&threadId=1239919

A User posted the following from a HP Supporter:

I had this problem with our two EVA5000.

After talking to a HP guy, he recommended the following procedure to me:

- Change the preferred Path in the VDisk presentation setting to the other controller.
- Now change the setting back to the original controller and try again to remove the vdisk member.

it worked well in my case. I don't know about the reason, but they told me that failing the lun over to the other EVA controller will reinitiate the Continuous Access Data Replication Tunnel.

To me it's a very strange thing and i wonder why this is not listed in any knowledge Bases of HP.

Thank you anyway for your Support, Uwe !
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Is this a multi-member DR_Group or is this vdisk the only member?
If you want to delete a vdisk that is the only member of a DR_group, you must delete that DR_group first.
twin
Occasional Advisor

It is a multi-member group.

Uwe, can you give me advice with ESX, too ?
My problem is, that i have to build a new large volume for our Fileserver, but i don't want to waste so much storage when using small files (Block Size 8 MB !!).
Does it make sense to build smaller Volumes and use several extends ? Or are there performance clues ?
By your Name i guess you are german, too ?