108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Operation Failed! when deleting a Virtual Disk in EVA4100

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Operation Failed! when deleting a Virtual Disk in EVA4100

I'm not sure I understand your question.

While VMFS does support sub-block allocation (can store multiple smaller files in a single VMFS block), the VMFS blocksize has nothing to do with the guest OS blocksize within the VMDK. And the VMkernel does not do de-blocking with 8MB read/write I/Os - it forwards the guest's I/O request which is often way smaller. You can ask EVAperf to show a distribution of the I/O sizes.

I don't think that building a VMFS datastore with multiple extents is a good idea unless one is forced by the storage array, because there is still one I/O wait queue (throught the first partition).
And with ESX4 and a competent array like the EVA you can even grow an existing VMFS partition and the embedded filesystem.

If you require more I/Os it might be necessary to increase some queue depths or create multiple VMDKs (and then multiple filesystems) for the fileserver. The downside is that free space is now scattered, but it could also help to parallelize some backups.

Yes, I'm german.
twin
Occasional Advisor

That was completely new to me, thank you.

Since we are offtopic anyway some last words in german because my english is not sufficient:

Das heisst also, es ist v├Г┬╢llig egal welche Block Size mein VMFS3 Volume hat, weil ohnehin nur das VMDK-File abgelegt wird und das Filesystem des Guests innerhalb des VMDK liegt. Auf einem Fileserver liegen ├Г┬╝blicherweise sehr viele deutlich kleinere Files als 8MB, w├Г┬╝rden aber nicht jedesmal einen 8MB-Block verschwenden, weil die Filesysteme v├Г┬╢llig unabh├Г┬дngig voneinander sind ?
Ich kann also demnach problemlos ein 1,8TB grosses VMFS-Volume anlegen mit einer Blockgr├Г┬╢sse von 8MB und dieses dann auch als ein grosses Volume im Guest anlegen ohne Verlust bei vielen kleinen Dateien.
Das w├Г┬дre klasse, weil ich gern unter Windows einen dynamischen Datentr├Г┬дger anlegen m├Г┬╢chte mit der Anfangsgr├Г┬╢sse von 1,8TB und dieses sp├Г┬дter ggfls. mit weiteren Volumes erweitern m├Г┬╢chte.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Perfect. Remember that VMFS partitions and VMDK are limited to 2 TeraBytes. If you need a larger NTFS filesystem you do need to map multiple VMDKs to a VM and then combine them with the guest OS' volume manager.

While you can create a VMFS datatore larger than 2TB by using extents I would not do so - due to a single I/O queue to the entire filesystem.
twin
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot Uwe !