7840 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

P2000 G3 FC/iSCSI Remote Snap issue

dcy
Occasional Contributor

P2000 G3 FC/iSCSI Remote Snap issue

Hey guys.

I have remote snap working flawlessly between 2 virtual disks (A_VD1 and B_VD1 - see below for the description). 3 volumes are replicated between these 2 vdisks. (2 of them going from A to B, and 1 of them going from B to A - that is to say, 2 of the replicated have the master volume on array A, vdisk A_VD1 and the 3rd volume has it's master volume on array B, vdisk B_VD1).

We have also decided to reuse the now obsolete drives that used to be local storage for some of our servers. However, here is exactly where it gets tricky. They are a different size (A_VD1 and B_VD1 are using 600 GB drives, the other vdisks have other types of disks) so new vdisks had to be provisioned on both arrays to be able to use the drives. The relevant vdisks are A_VD3 and B_VD3.

I am unable to use the replication wizard to create new replication between volume A_VD3_VOL1 situated on array A, vdisk A_VD3 and the vdisk B_VD3, situated on array B). The replication setup wizard ends in stage 3 where I select the remote system from the drop down menu (B is displayed and selected), but when the remote system is checked I get the cryptic error message "There are no vdisks in the remote system. Please select another remote system or create a vdisk in the remote system before continuing."

Issuing show vdisks on Array A I get:

# show vdisks
Name  Size     Free    Own Pref   RAID   Disks Spr Chk  Status
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A_VD1  3597.0GB 417.0GB A   A      RAID5  7     0   64k  FTOL
A_VD2  999.1GB  0B      B   B      RAID5  3     1   64k  FTOL 
A_VD3  439.9GB  0B      A   A      RAID5  4     0   64k  FTOL 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issuing remote B show vdisks from array A I get:

# remote B show vdisks
Name  Size     Free    Own Pref   RAID   Disks Spr Chk  Status
B_VD1  3597.0GB 417.0GB A   A      RAID5  7     0   64k  FTOL
B_VD3  439.9GB  439.9GB B   B      RAID5  4     0   64k  FTOL

Which tells me that array B has a vdisk named B_VD3 that is currently fully available and of the exactly same size as vdisk A_VD3 so technically this should work.

So the question now is:

Is there a licensing limitation on how many virtual disks can be replicated between? I would much appreciate an answer from HP since thus far I do feel rather let down by HP's support. (but luckily managed to work through the issues by myself thus far, but here I do not see any path to proceed or workaround this).

To describe the hardware involved - 2x P2000 G3 MSA FC/iSCSI (currently all connections are iSCSI, FC is planned some time in the future) - both Remote Snap licensed.

Hard disks:

Array A has 7 pieces of 600 GB SAS drives sitting at ids 1.1 to 1.7. - Vdisk is A_VD1

Array A also has 4 pieces of 146 GB SAS drives sitting at ids 1.17 to 1.20 - Vdisk is A_VD3

Array A also has 4 pieces of 500 GB SAS drives sitting at ids 1.21 to 1.24 - Vdisk is A_VD2

Array B has 7 pieces of 600 GB SAS drives sitting at ids 1.1 to 1.7. - Vdisk is B_VD1

Array B also has 4 pieces of 146 GB SAS drives sitting at ids 1.17 to 1.20. - Vdisk is B_VD3

Array B has no 500 GB SAS drives at the moment.

Both arrays (and both controllers in each) are at the currently newest software versions:

# show versions
Controller A Versions
---------------------
Bundle Version: TS230R044
Build Date: Sat May 28 17:44:09 MDT 2011

Controller B Versions
---------------------

# remote B show versions
Controller A Versions
---------------------

Controller B Versions
---------------------

I am of course available for further information.