1752777 Members
6153 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P2000 G3 displays inconsistent vdisk status after disk failure and rebuild

Thomas N. Greer
Occasional Contributor

P2000 G3 displays inconsistent vdisk status after disk failure and rebuild

On a P2000 array, I can see in the logs that a disk failed, a spare disk kicked in, and the vdisk was reconstructed, but the management interface does not reflect this. The vdisk was initially composed of the disks from enclosure 3, slots 1-11. The disk in enclosure 3, slot 4 failed and was replaced by enclosure 3, slot 12 (according to the log). The interface, however, shows that while enclosure 3, slot 4 is no longer part of the vdisk, enclosure 3, slot 12 is still a global spare.

The attached file is the output from "show vdisk" and "show disks vdisk" commands. "show vdisk" shows the the vdisk to have 11 disks and to be in an FTOL state, but "show disks vdisk" shows only 10 disks.

Anybody seen such a thing before? Anybody know how to determine the real state of my vdisk?

HP support just wants me to update the firmware -- I see nothing in the release notes for the firmware about a fix for such a problem, and am not enthusiastic about blindly proceeding with the update with the array in this state.
2 REPLIES 2
Terry.giblin
Frequent Advisor

Dear Thomas,

Any problem is a process of elimination, so until your firmware is up todate it will be hard to proceed.

From your description, it does sound like a firmware issue.

First eliminate all unknowns, starting with firmware first.

Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

To resolve this issue, complete the following steps:

1. If one or more drives fail in a redundant virtual disk (RAID 1, 3, 5, 6, 10, or 50) and properly sized spares are available, remove the failed drive from its slot or bay and insert the new drive. Virtual disk reconstruction does not require I/O to be quiesced, so the virtual disk can continue to be used while the reconstruct utility runs.

2. Add each new drive as a vdisk spare (go to Manage , then Virtual Disk Config , then Vdisk Configuration , and Add Vdisk Spares ) and the VDISK reconstruction will start automatically.

3. Enable the dynamic spare configuration option on the Manage , then General Config , and System Configuration page in order to use the new drives without designating them as spares

During reconstruction, although the critical virtual disk icon is displayed, you can continue to use the virtual disk.

4. Connect HP StorageWorks MSA 2000 through Telnet and run SHOW VDSIKS command to see for reconstructing happening