HPE EVA Storage

P2000 G3 vDisk layout

Emmy

P2000 G3 vDisk layout

Hi all,

We just acquired a P2000 G3 array populated with:

- Dual FC controllers
- 36 x 600GB 15,000RPM SAS 6GB drives

Looking at the specs they claim a maximum of 18,698 IOPS in a 60/40 random I/O test, but looking at it closer now it looks like they created entirely different volumes, then just ADDED the numbers together?!

Can I conclude from that fact that it's actually impossible to have a single vDisk (carved into multiple volumes) with 18K+ IOPS?

Thanks!

S.
3 REPLIES 3
Fran Garcia
Frequent Advisor

Re: P2000 G3 vDisk layout

how do your vDisks look? single raid5 vDisk?

If you do that, you have to take into account parity calculation and update for every single write I/O you perform on your array.

I don't have a formula with me right now but a single, 36-disk raid5 volume looks terrible to me :-) .
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

AFAIK is a 36 RAID 5 vdisks not possible. There is limitation up to 16 disks per vdisks, or 32 disks für RAID 5+0 vdisks. Sure, 18.000 IOPS can't be done by physical disks, so the 18.000 IOPS is a value measured by using physical disks and cache.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Emmy

Guys,

The system can take 96 drives total, which does get around 18,000 raw IOPS with 15Krpm disks, but it looks like they built smaller vdisks, calculated the performance of each individual vdisk over 4 hosts, then just added them together..

Also, I'm not sure where RAID5 entered the conversation, but I would not be using RAID5 - only RAID10.

I guess what's I'm really looking for is multiple RAID10 sets striped (similar to how EMC does its metaLUNs) for maximum performance. However, I guess the price point of this unit doesn't get that feature..

Thanks!

S.