5939 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Performance on MSA1000

TKreis
Occasional Advisor

Performance on MSA1000

Hi,

I am a trainee and i just started to work with SANs.

We got this MSA1000 with 4 Arrays, 2x2TB Raid5 consisting of 300MB Disks, 1x1.2TB same and 1x300GB Raid1.

The first point that seems kinda strange is the performance when reading from a single array, which is like 40-45 MB/s, that seems kinda really low to me.

And the second is that reading from multiple arrays doesn't reduce the performance on each array (going down to 35-40 MB/s).

Now i need a little hint what could cause a problem like that (if that is really a problem and not normal).

The MSA is connected to 3 different servers over FC with build-in FC-switch.

I know that i gave only very few information, but tbh i am not sure what would help.

Thx and regards
Tim
10 REPLIES 10
TKreis
Occasional Advisor

Some information i should add:

Firmware of MSA is 5.2

There are 4 arrays with a single logical drive on them each, already heard about the problem to have a single big array with several logical drives on them
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

Hi Tim,

Upload the show tech support from MSA.
TKreis
Occasional Advisor

I hope this is the right file
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

sounds not too bad actually, they're not the fastest things going. They are (were) only marketed as archival storage boxes, not intended for high availability or database work. To see how hard the system is working run >start perf from the CLI (on the serial port in the front of the controller. then >show perf to see the data, don't forget to type >stop perf when you're done. also connect to the switch and see the port throughput, default IP is 10.77.77.77 this should show the overall performance clearly. You don't say what Hosts, o/s etc. so that's all folks ;~)

> They are (were) only marketed as archival storage boxes

The MSA1000? You must be kidding!

From the MSA1000 quickspecs Version 3 - December 14, 2001:
- the MSA1000 is a scaleable, high performance storage system built with investment protection in mind
- Performance - The MSA1000 and its components have been designed using the latest industry standard 2Gb/s interconnects and Fibre Channel technology. Performance tests indicate a data transmission rate of over 20,000 IOPS and bandwidth of 160 MB per second. (Single MSA1000 Controller)

OK, we know that can only be achieved by running special benchmarks and customers run real-world programs, not benchmarks ;-)

I agree that the MSA1000 is not the fastest box in the real world, but even the latest quickspec I have from 2007 does not contain the string "archiv" and I have _never_ heard this claim [archival storage] before.
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

I agree with Uwe, although MSA's are not Ferrari's but they are not lawn mowers either.

Anyway, you gave the ADU report,I want you to connect the MSA serial cable to the controller and capture the following command:
show tech_support.
TKreis
Occasional Advisor

It is connected to Windows Server 2003 over QLogic FC HBAs, don't have the exact type atm, because i am at home.
TKreis
Occasional Advisor

Connecting the serial cable might be a problem, i wont get to the physical location before the 5th of November after my vacation ^^
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

oops! now just give us some credit and open a new thread once you have the controller logs.. :)