108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Planned shutdown of EVA6000 ->source side in CA

SOLVED
Go to solution
MLK_1
Occasional Advisor

Planned shutdown of EVA6000 ->source side in CA

We need to shut down EVA6000 for power related reconfiguration. This EVA is the source side for CA. Along with the EVA6000 I neeed to shut down the CV server and the principal switches.
CA is done over dedicated fiber pair just across the street. Running CV9.1, XCS 6.220

Q1: Since the CV server is also our file server should I initialize the shutdown with a timeout so I can shut down the CV server before I loose the LUNs?

Q2: Do I need to shut down the destination EVA4400 too because it is connected to the subordinate FC switches?

Q3: My steps: 1.Stop all I/O to the EVA6000 by shuting down all servers; 2.Suspend the replication to the remote EVA4400; 3.Shutdown EVA6000

Please let me know if there is anything else I should watch for / anything I'm missing in my plan. Will the remote EVA4440 just pick up the replication once I have the source EVA6000 up and execute the "resume replication"?
7 REPLIES 7
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Planned shutdown of EVA6000 ->source side in CA

Q1: Yes, send the shutdown command to the EVA but with a delay to be able to shut down OS on the server.

Q2: Do you have the system set up for failover? The idea of CA is to transfer the service to the other EVA in case the source EVA fails or needs to be shutdown. That's what failover is about.

Q3: If you only replicate from EVA6000 to EVA4400 and do not intend to maintain service by failing over to the EVA4400, then yes.
MLK_1
Occasional Advisor

vcespon,
Thank you for your response.
We don't have the system setup to failover we just want to make sure the data is there.

Is there any problems with shutting down only the principal switches? Will the zonig be kept on the subordinate and reconverge once the principal switches come back?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You can safely shut down part of the switch fabric and the switches will join after power has been restored, but you should not make changes on the remaining switches, because it will result in configuration incompatibilities.
McCready
Valued Contributor

As a general rule whenever powering down everything, I would also save off the configuration of all devices that are being powercycled prior to the powerdown. For the EVA, that would be "Capture Configuration" via SSSU, and whatever the switch command would be to dump that configuration. You might even want to record the host driver/firmware/bios, etc, especially if you boot from the SAN just in case you have issues coming back up again.
check out evamgt.wetpaint.com and evamgt google group
MLK_1
Occasional Advisor

Everything went OK, system is back up and running. I did the backup of EVA config (capture config) and uploaded the config from the FC switches as well.
There is only ine thing that got me worried.
I went to CV and did the shutdown with delay set to 5, because our SMA is a file server as well. I was under the impresion that the 5 will mean 5 minutes but the EVA powered off in less than a minute!!!
Is this in seconds? Or should I put 05 ???
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

According to the CV-EVA user guide it is supposed to be minutes, but maybe the programmer implemented seconds and the tester tried it with 0 (zero)...
MLK_1
Occasional Advisor

Just curious if anybody had the same problem or is anybody has a test box and could try it... This could be major if you expecting to have couple of minutes and the EVA just goes OFF....