HPE EVA Storage

Port got disabled in sanswitch after we unplug the fc cable.

Prasanth V Aravind
Trusted Contributor

Port got disabled in sanswitch after we unplug the fc cable.

We have two fC sanswitches (16port) which is connected with EVA storage & hpux (rp7400) server. To replace some part in the server, we had unpluged the fc cables & took teh server reboot. Now server is not able to detect any luns . even the port @ sanswitch got disabled automatically. If i enabled the port manually it shows no_sync @ not coming online. These switches & servers are very old , i wonder how this problem come .. it was working perfect before we unplug the cable ....

These switches are very old ones .. so do i need to do anything else to make it in sync???
Anybody faced these type issue ???

Prasanth.
5 REPLIES 5
Andras Ordogh
Valued Contributor

Re: Port got disabled in sanswitch after we unplug the fc cable.

hello,

just some idea:
because you striped the hardware, the first thing what i try check hw.
try to check link physically (with a paper, on the end of the cable, is there the red dot?)
you can check the sw port, hba, cable. if everything work, maybe not hw.

if no hw error, maybe try the sw and hba port, so another hba to this port, this hba to another port. maybe you can find, whitch part failed. in the error in sw side check config, if the error in hba side, check config :) i dont know hpux, but maybe you need a driver / modul / services that not started?

andras

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, maybe it's just that the cable broke? Got a spare one? Any lights lit on the fc hba? Are you using securepath?
Prakash Singh_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Prashanth,

The above steps suggested should usually work.

But you can also try to change the port speed to fixed as per HBA speed, then manually change the port to F status from webtools.

Regards,

Prakash

Regards,

PS
To assign points on this post? Click the white Thumbs up below!
Prasanth V Aravind
Trusted Contributor

I don't think .. this is a cable broke .. bcoz ichecked on server side as well as switch side .. i can see the red light coming ...

As Andras said .. it might be a issue of OS driver .. the operating system we use is phux 11.11 which is not patched for a long time.

let me check this this tomorrow & share the results ..

Thanks for your suggestions

Rgds
Prsanath
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I remember we had a problem with an older HP-UX 11.11 (PA-RISC) server that had problems coming back up after a reboot. Do you have 2Gbit HBAs? Is the SAN port set to 2G fixed? Try setting it to Auto negotiate. It worked for me.
During boot, our server HBA initialised the link at 1G, then once the OS had booted, it changed to 2G. The server had not been rebooted in months, and in the meantime, we had moved the HBAs to newer SAN switches, where we set the ports to fixed speed.

Regards,
STephen