HPE EVA Storage

Problem with MSA2000 and c-3000 Connection Through Cisco Cisco MDS 9124e FS

Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

Problem with MSA2000 and c-3000 Connection Through Cisco Cisco MDS 9124e FS

I attached a MSA2000 to a c-3000 enclosure using a Cisco MDS 9124e Fabric Switch for c-Class BladeSystem (AG641A). each server at enclosure has QLogic QMH2462 4Gb FC HBA for HP c-Class BladeSystem and QLogic QMH2562 8Gb FC HBA for HP c-Class BladeSystem. I also attached an external server with Emulex HBA card to the Switch.
I entered the WWN of the switch and some servers to MSA host definition but it cannot discover the servers. Moreover, When I directly attach the External Server to MSA2000, it works properly; But when I try to attach the external server to MSA2000 through the said switch (switch in enclosure) the server cannot detect the MSA2000!

Would you please give me some clue?

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with MSA2000 and c-3000 Connection Through Cisco Cisco MDS 9124e FS

Hi!

Have you configured your zoning?
In the c-class there might be some port settings you need to configure as well, but my bets are on the zoning. This can be done via the cli or the web interface of the switch.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Agree, sounds like a zoning problem if you have ruled out the easy causes.

- the Emulex adapter does have a link with the switch?
- did you reboot the server so that it logs into the switch again? A storage array learns the server HBAs from such events.

Oh, and you don't need to enter a switch's WWN to a storage array's LUN masking.
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your advices!
I activated default-zone and assigned it to vsan 1
but vsan 1 status is as follows:

vsan 1 information
name:VSAN0001 state:active
interoperability mode:default
loadbalancing:src-id/dst-id/oxid
operational state:down

Operational State is DOWN! and I cannot understand why! I tested cables and I also tested back-to-back connection of MSA2000 and external server, everything was OK but something goes wrong with switch!

and another problem! When I insert switch in c-3000 enclosure and connect it using null modem connection, the the interconnect connection process stops and authentication message does not appear; but this problem does not appear when using the same switch in c-7000 enclosure!
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

I solved the porblem by re-arranging the VLAN. Thanks :-)