HPE EVA Storage
1752580 Members
4416 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with cache batteries in EVA8100.

tterlecki
Occasional Visitor

Problem with cache batteries in EVA8100.

Hello,
We had to relocate and reinitialize 8 EVAs 8100. They have been down for more than one year so we have bought 32 new cache batteries. We have made small mistake while reinitializing EVAs - date on Command View server has been set to 20-10-2004... Now we cannot set up correct time, because after restarting the storage cache batteries are marked "OLD_CD" and after few seconds "failed"... The reason is obvious. Controller thinks that batteries are 10 years old.
Does anybody know how to change the date of "activating" battery, written in cache battery module? As far as I remember it is possible from fieldservice page in Command View.

/Tadek Terlecki

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

AFAIK once the battery is marked bad, it remains this status.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tterlecki
Occasional Visitor

Hi Torsten,

When you plug in new battery it is marked with date taken from controller. It is used to warn after some time that battery is too old and should be replaced, regardless its performance (capacity). This is why battery "installed" in 2001 is reported as failed. But I remember there was a procedure to clear or set this initial date from CV fieldservice... We don't want to replace 32 brand new batteries :)

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm really not aware of such.

All "bad battery" related advisories I know are telling the same - once the battery is marked bad, it needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, If you pop open the case there is a small square chip on the PCB that has the connector and cells attached, the reset is to short a couple of the connectors, it's been a while and I can't recall which 2 pins. However if you google the chip number there are plenty of sites that have the pin outs. This erases the changeable data, e.g. age, fault status. It is used when refurbishing (replacing the internal cells).  Then use them in a different EVA so there is no chance of it remembering the ID.

Hi Greybeard,

I am having problems locating which chip you meant, the only one i can find anything online about is the microcontroller PIC16F818 if you could give any insight that would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks