1751691 Members
4699 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Problems connecting host to old EVA3000

ToreNO
Occasional Collector

Problems connecting host to old EVA3000

I need to get some data of an old decommissioned EVA3000 array.

I have connected a DL360G5 with Windows 2003 which was previously connected to the SAN but now I have problems connecting to the LUNs.

CommandView 4.0 was installed on this server, and was previously used to manage the array, but I got a proxy error when trying to manage through CV4. I have now installed CV8 and successfully connected to the array.

But I am not able to connect to the presented LUNs.

After decommisioning the EVA3000 this server has gone through driver updates, and I'm guessing the new drivers are incompatible with EVA3000.

HBA Model: HPAE311A (QLogic)

Driver version: 9.1.3.16 (have tried with newer, this was the oldest I could find)

Type: HSV100

Version: 3028

Software: CR0A3Erunp-3028 

Hoping someone can give me some pointers!

10 REPLIES 10
Jameo
Advisor

HSV100 is supported with HPAE311A if VCS is above 4.007(eva firmware)

ToreNO
Occasional Collector

Thank you Jameo!

This server with this FC card has been used to connect to this SAN before, with same firmware.

Is it possible to download this firmware without support?

Jameo
Advisor

For EVA firmware you need to log a support call they will create a FTP with firmware.

Please refer the compatibility guide below,

http://h20272.www2.hp.com/Content/ExportPDFView.aspx?Id=50684&typeId=2

Jason_L
Valued Contributor

Shew, it's been a while since I have worked with a EVA 3000.  However, the newer generations of EVA's allow you to set the host ports from either "fabric mode" or "direct connect mode".

From the 8400 guide.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03471067/c03471067.pdf

Direct connect
NOTE: Direct connect is currently supported on Microsoft Windows only.
Direct connect provides a lower cost solution for smaller configurations. When using direct connect,
the storage system controllers are connected directly to the host(s), not to SAN Fibre Channel
28 Enterprise Virtual Array startupswitches. Make sure the following requirements are met when configuring your environment for
direct connect:
• A management server running HP P6000 Command View must be connected to one port on
each EVA controller. The management host must use dual HBAs for redundancy.
• To provide redundancy, it is recommended that dual HBAs be used for each additional host
connected to the storage system. Using this configuration, up to four hosts (including the
management host) can be connected to an EVA6400/8400.
The Host Port Configuration must be set to Direct Connect using the OCP.
• HP P6000 Continuous Access cannot be used with direct connect configurations.
• The HSV controller firmware cannot differentiate between an empty host port and a failed
host port in a direct connect configuration. As a result, the Connection state dialog box on
the Controller Properties window displays Connection failed for an empty host port. To fix this
problem, insert an optical loop-back connector into the empty host port; the Connection state
will display Connected. For more information about optical loop-back connectors, contact
your HP-authorized service provider.

This is true especially if this EVA 3000 was once conencted to a FC switch.  Driver/firmware could be also playing a part, but I would check to see if the 3000 has port configs similar to the 8400 above.

Also, you may need to unpresent and present once you have mde the changes if these changes are available on the 3000 - which I belive they are.

Hope this helps...

-Jason

I work for HPE.
ToreNO
Occasional Collector

Thank you, Jason

I cannot find these configurations anywhere, but the SAN is connected to the host via FC-switches as when it was used before. No changes other than driver updates that I can think of.
Jason_L
Valued Contributor

Yeah after I re-read your post I figured out it was connected to the SAN and not direct connected.  Did you check to make sure your presentations are still set up correctly, with the WWN's etc? Zoning is set up to allow access?

Otherwise, I suppose it could be the driver causing the connectivity issue.

-Jason

I work for HPE.
ToreNO
Occasional Collector

I think the zoning and switches are OK as the config hasn't been changed since the last time this server was connected to the SAN.
I have tried unpresenting and presenting LUNs to the host several times and I have checked WWN (which hasn't changed on the host) and recreated the host on the EVA.

If the zoning was wrong I would think that the host should not be able to manage the EVA with Command View, as this is done via the SAN?

I will have to check the FC-switches config next time I'm at the site, they are not connected to the LAN atm.

Do you know where I can get hold of older drivers for the FC-card?

Jason_L
Valued Contributor

@ToreNO wrote:

I think the zoning and switches are OK as the config hasn't been changed since the last time this server was connected to the SAN.
I have tried unpresenting and presenting LUNs to the host several times and I have checked WWN (which hasn't changed on the host) and recreated the host on the EVA.

If the zoning was wrong I would think that the host should not be able to manage the EVA with Command View, as this is done via the SAN?

Correct, commandview uses the FC path for mgmt.

I will have to check the FC-switches config next time I'm at the site, they are not connected to the LAN atm.

Do you know where I can get hold of older drivers for the FC-card?

Goto hp.com and click on "support and drivers" - enter the model number of FC card .  you should them be presented a choices of OS's.  Choose the OS, then click on the driver and tab "release history".  What is the model of HBA?

Also;

I take it that the LUNS you need presented are to the commandview server? 

Also when you unpreesnt do the WWN's of the server show up in a list of available WWN's? 

-Jason

I work for HPE.
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, if the EVA was managed with CV 4 then you changed to CV 8 your licenses will no longer be valid so changes to presentation are not allowed. This may be why you can't see any LUNs. The cut off was CV 6.