108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems presenting vdisk

SOLVED
Go to solution
thom_14
Regular Advisor

Problems presenting vdisk

I have an EVA 4400 and CommandView, and I'm trying to create a couple of vdisks and present them to a DL785 running Linux.

I can create the first vdisk and present it, no problem. When I try to create and present (at the same time) the 2nd vdisk, I get "Duplicate Lun WWID" If I create the vdisk first and then try to present it, I get "The virtual disk could not be presented to a host."

I noticed that the WW LUN names are the same for both vdisks - in fact it's the same for any vdisk I try to create. Why? I accepted the default name; in fact, if I try to change it, I get a warning.

What am I doing wrong?

I also tried creating a folder and then creating the vdisks - same error. I also tried changing the "OS Unit ID" and "Presentation LUN" to no avail.
11 REPLIES 11
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Never seen this before. Let's check some basic facts:

EVA4400 Firmware version?
Command View 8.02?
Hosts created with Linux as Host OS?
thom_14
Regular Advisor

> EVA4400 Firmware version?

XCS version: 09500000
XCS build: CD12BFlep
Management firmware: mmp-0001.2000-000070

Type: HSV300
Version: 09500000
Software: CD12BFlep-09500000

> Command View 8.02?

Actually, I think it's 9, but when I click help, I get a 404 - I'm using the CommandView embedded in the EVA, not on a separate machine.

> Hosts created with Linux as Host OS?

Yes.
thom_14
Regular Advisor

CommandView Version: 09.00.00.090112
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Eing??

Sorry man, but either you have a time machine or you're running a pre-release firmware and Command View.

09500000 will not be released until next month, with the new EVA models. The same for Command View 9.

I don't know how you expect to find support in a public forum.
thom_14
Regular Advisor

I have no idea what is the 'norm' for versions, etc. This is my first experience with an EVA (or any SAN, for that matter). We bought it, I uncrated it, scratched my head, and then begged one of the storage guys to help me set it up. He fought with it for a couple of days, then handed it back to me. He's been my only support channel, and I'm trying to figure this stuff out on my own so I don't completely wear out my welcome.

Back to the original issue: A unique LUN is supposed to be generated automagically, right?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

We are currently on XCS 09006000 and Command View 8.02.
You can try to downgrade to supported versions (The EVA is new, so no data to lose)

I really wonder how that EVA got out of Colorado Springs, that's a pre-release build number.
thom_14
Regular Advisor

>I really wonder how that EVA got out of Colorado Springs, that's a pre-release build number.

I know the storage guy who did the setup upgraded the firmware - he said the EVA was DOA out of the box, and he probably has connections to get the newer bits.
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Yes, a unique LUN WWID is supposed to be created automagically. Now you see why running pre-release firmware may not be a Good Thing.

Contact HP Support.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

thom_14
Regular Advisor

I went back to the storage guy, he went to his people, and it turns out the firmware was bad. They upgraded the firmware to the latest-and-greatest and it works like a champ.