HPE EVA Storage

Problems with 2/8-EL upgrade to v3.2.1c

Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Problems with 2/8-EL upgrade to v3.2.1c

Have downloaded the right firmware file, unzipped it and trying to apply it (command line and gui) against a laptop with a thin ftp server running, and it consistently fails. The message reads "error: image too small" after hanging for 5+ mins.

Anyone ever encountered this before? I have retried the unix and windows downloads, checked their checksums and they are always the same. Are both my 2/8-EL switches broken here?

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user
7 REPLIES 7
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Problems with 2/8-EL upgrade to v3.2.1c

I first suspect the laptop and any firewall software on it. Most firewalls are automatically configured to NOT let you become a FTP server, being a fairly common method of malware to propagate itself.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Run an "ipaddrshow" and check if somebody did set an IP address on the FC interface, too. Sometimes people do this and use the same subnet for both addresses which causes routing problems.
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Thanks gents, have tested the interface by performing a "configupload" and an local "ftp" via the interface, and both work fine. Kind of stumped, will try connecting a linux box to the cross-over cable and trying that.

Does anyone know the checksum of the v3.2.1c file from HP-UX? This is what I get below

> sum v3.2.1c
63760 12233 v3.2.1c

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I don't have HP-UX, but this is from the service console (I know should not abuse it ;-) of a VMware ESX server:

# wc -c v3.2.1c
6263252 v3.2.1c
# sum v3.2.1c
09699 6117
# md5sum v3.2.1c
297321b906557176b67f74ab984d52e0 v3.2.1c
#
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

All figures check out against my own, thanks Uwe.
Building a dumber user
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Sorted. "ifmodeshow" shows a 10/FD connection, laptop has "Auto" configured.

Once I set the laptop network interface explicitly to "10/FD" the firmware download roared through.

Thanks everyone. Ian

"The box said Windows 98 or better, so I installed Linux".
Building a dumber user
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

if this happens to you, set the duplex and speed manually on the connected FTP Server.
Building a dumber user