HPE EVA Storage

Production to Hotsite - Topology

sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Production to Hotsite - Topology

We recently had our on-campus hotsite completed and are awaiting the provisioning of fiber connections between our production site and this hotsite. Only 16 of the 32 ports on the 4 switches were licensed and we have purchased a long wave transceiver for each switch to establish the minimum ISLs to maintain and "A" and "B" fabric with the intent of having 2 switches in either site.

If we can obtain more fiber connections, how or can, we implement a bit more redundancy in the fabric without having to license more ports and purchase additional long wave transceivers? I should mention that most of the hotsite hosts connecting to the fabric are housed in a c7000 with VC-FC modules and 2 ports on each module are connected to the switches in the hotsite. Thank you in advance for your response.

Scott
2 REPLIES 2
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Production to Hotsite - Topology

If you already have two fabrics, and each of the fabrics will go through a different fibre path (avoiding the cut of both fibre cables at the same time for example), then there is no need for additional redundance on each switch unless you need to do some trunking for performance inprovements. Worst if you can't get more ports license and GBICs.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Re: Production to Hotsite - Topology

Ivan,

Thank you for your reply. I thought this would be the case, but wanted confirmation from someone on the forum. I also came across the documentation that was generated by the HP engineer who performed the initial configuration of our EVAs at the end of 2008. Much of what I needed to identify the current configuration was captured there. It looks like once I've got the two fiber paths established, I'll be able to reconnect the two fabrics. Thank you again for your timely response.

Cheers,

Scott