HPE EVA Storage
1753830 Members
9705 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question about MSA 2000i in a Hyper-V cluster (CVS)

MpDay2

Question about MSA 2000i in a Hyper-V cluster (CVS)

Hi guys,

We are going to build a cluster (lab test), based on Windows Server 2008 R2 and CVS (Cluster Shared Volumes). We are still in functional design, so we haven't bought the hareware yet.
Please, this is new to us, so if we are not on the right track, please correct us. :)

We are going to use multiple ProLiant servers with Hyper-V R2 Server as nodes, and an MSA 2000i iSCSI SAN for central storage. All the VHDs will be stored on the MSA.

Why the MSA 2000i? because is has iSCSI, and we are looking at about 15 active Hyper-V VMs, shares on one storage unit.

1) Is the MSA 2000i the right choise for this kind of setup?

2) Since the MSA 2000i will be used as iSCSI target, we will install Windows Storage Server 2008 (WSS08) on it. It this the way to go, because we can't find anyone with WSS08 installed on the MSA 2000i... (we saw that the HP X3000 is pre-installed with WSS08, but the MSA isn't).

3) The ProLiant nodes, do they need special NICs for the iSCSI storage, or will de on-board NIC be just fine?

4) Are we forgetting crusial hardware in this setup? Special switches for iSCSI connection perhaps?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> Since the MSA 2000i will be used as iSCSI target, we will install Windows Storage Server 2008 (WSS08) on it.

Maybe I am misunderstanding that sentence, but you cannot install Windows on the MSA, because it is not built like an x86 server. It is a closed box with proprietary controller software that includes the iSCSI target function.
MpDay2

Thanks for the reply.

So, we clearly misunderstood. If we want to build a cluster with the MSA, the MSA doesn't need an OS like Windows Server?
We have a test setup in our lab with a Windows Server and StarWind iSCSI software for storage. If we are correct: the MSA is a complete replacement for this server, right?

...This means that we can install Hyper-V on each node, and connect to the MSA straight away using the iSCSI initiator software?

Is there specific management software to configure the MSA.

Thanks
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Right. The MSA comes with its own 'kind-of-OS' (which is usually called 'firmware') and it already includes:

- command-line access via serial ports
- command-line access via LAN ports (TCP/IP)
- Web-access via LAN ports (TCP/IP)
-- just connect with a web-browser to one of the MSA controller's IP address

- an iSCSI target implementation

You define which physical disk drives are bound together as a RAID container (called a 'virtual disk'). Then you reserve all or part of this storage capacity as a 'volume' and present it to one or multiple iSCSI initiators (the MSA calls this a 'host').