108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Questions before upgrade my EVA4400

SOLVED
Go to solution
ReynierPM
Frequent Advisor

Questions before upgrade my EVA4400

Hello every, in my work my boss asked me to evaluate whether I can expand the storage capacity of an EVA4400 and how. I would like to know that I consider to make this assessment and wich components should be upgraded and in what order of priority. Likewise, if there is any guidance available to me relevant to understanding the process would appreciate that you leave the URL to observe carefully. Note: I'm really newbie on this topics
7 REPLIES 7
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

To add more capacity to the EVA4400 you need to purchase more disks, maybe more enclosures and the licenses to allow Command View to manage all the capacity in the array.

The EVA4400 can have up to 8 enclosures, with up to 12 disks each. The disks can be up to 600 GB in 15K version, or 1 1TB FATA (so up to 96 TB).

Check the EVA quickspecs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12893_div/12893_div.html
ReynierPM
Frequent Advisor

Yes I know this but I want to know the procedure. Also some friend of mine tell me that I need to know also how to update controllers, the EMU, I/O, SCSI switch(loop-switches), enclosures and disks to use, did you know any guide?
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi
If you do a search through the itrc you will find much of what you ask for already, but to clarify a couple of your questions:
1: EMU - NO emu's for M4612A encloures
2: NO back end loop switches with any 44/64/8400 EVA.
3: What SCSI ?? EVA is ALL fibre channel! :*)
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
ReynierPM
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mark:
I do a search at forums and see a lot of topics asking how to for upgrade but exists a lot of questions and technical specs that I don't know. For example in this thread:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?prodSeriesId=3664583&prodTypeId=12169&threadId=1185274&admit=109447627+1270389879093+28353475

talked about EMU, I/O devices, loop switches and controllers. In some others topics talk about upgrade just the CV soft and so on. Conclusion I'm lost at this point and doesn't know how to proceed. Can you or any help me to understand the problem?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

There are no EMUs or loop-switches on an EVA4400. Each enclosure is connected to the one above it. See this doc:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01419085/c01419085.pdf

ReynierPM
Frequent Advisor

Ok, I make a previous mistake. I didn't check until now the EVA configuration and seems to be a existant upgrade so the EVA now is a 6400 and need to be upgraded to a 8400. Any advice on this?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

They use the same disk enclosures, so you need to change the controllers (HSV400 to HSV450).

The HSV450 controllers have 3 loop pairs, you need to distribute the enclosures among the 3 loops. At least one enclosure per loop, at least one disk per enclosure.