HPE EVA Storage

RA4100 with SAN Switch 2/16V

Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

RA4100 with SAN Switch 2/16V

I am trying to get 3 x DL580 servers, each with secure path and 2 x 120186-B21 64bit/66MHz Fibre Channel HBA, communicating with 2 x RA4100, each with dual controllers via a pair of SAN Switch 2/16V. The SAN Design Guide states that this switch is a valid device but can anyone tell me if there is a particular method to getting this to work or any particular way of configuring the switch ports that should be adhered to.

I look forward to the responses.
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: RA4100 with SAN Switch 2/16V

Mike:

I am not very familiar with the RA4100 as I started working with HSG80 based systems and then EVA's in my Storage Career.

Some general SAN rules to follow...

In regards to SAN Switches:
1. Create your zones based on HBA and Storage. That is, in a single zone, only add 1 hba of a single server and the port or WWID of your storage array. Create a second zone if you need to talke to BOTH arrays.

In General:
1. Install fibre drives and Secure Path BEFORE you connect your fibre cables since by default, your SAN Switch has an open configuration where all ports can communicate with each other. To bypass this, create a zone on the switches and enable a configuration with that one zone. in the zone, include only 1 port. All devices that are connected will NOT communicate with each other until you modify the zoning to allow it.

2. The RA4100's are Loop Devices I believe. You should not have a problem with the default licenses that come with the 2/16V.

Have you started configuring anything yet?

What OS will you be using?

Have any other SAN related equipment that you are responsible for? or is this all new for you?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

I have connected one server and one RA4100 two the pair of switches at present. The server is running secure path and everything works fine on the original Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop Switch. If I change one path onto the SAN Switch 2/16V everything continues to work I can move the logical disk to the other controller and back again. This is also the case if I then move the second path over to the other SAN Switch.

If I then reboot the server it can't see the storage and never will again. I have set the ports to be 1G rather than auto negotiate and locked them to loop mode to no avail.

Any further suggestions anyone?
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

No resolution found. RA4100 units replaced with an MSA1500