HPE EVA Storage

RSM MirrorClone Script takes 40min+ to complete

RMeier
Occasional Contributor

RSM MirrorClone Script takes 40min+ to complete

Hi Guys,

I have created a RSM script to break off Mirrorclones from one Server and attach them to another for backup purposes,

The problem comes in where each CreateHostVolumeFromDiskDevices command takes approximately 2 mins to run, we have 17 drives that need to be attached in this manner and all that time add's up,

The host machine that we are attaching to is a Windows 2003 based machine (SP2) and we are running RSM ver 5.2,

I would like to know if anyone else experiences this time frame for the command to finish or if there is some underlying problem that I need to sort out,

Thanks in advance,

Robert

2 REPLIES 2
Ruben Renders
Frequent Advisor

Re: RSM MirrorClone Script takes 40min+ to complete

Hi,

Why are you using mirrorclones?

I have configured the same setup with regular snapshots for a fileserver volume of 2TB.

The total script ends after approx 6 minutes.

Also it could be smart to run the rsm scripts by using task scheduler. In this manner your backupjob does not waste any time with pre- & postscripts.

Ruben

RMeier
Occasional Contributor

Re: RSM MirrorClone Script takes 40min+ to complete

Hi Ruben,

We use mirrorclones so that there is zero performance impact on the primary application during the backup run, as all information is read off of the clone rather than the primary disk. After backup only the changed data is re-synced with the source.

I would prefer not to schedule the task as there is much more room for error, esp with regards to manual backups or backups that run too long.

Does your script make use of the same command that runs 2 minutes per call on my system, if so what is the runtime for your command

Robert