HPE EVA Storage

RSM - Replicate Host Volume and Mount to a Host

Rockingly
Occasional Contributor

RSM - Replicate Host Volume and Mount to a Host

Using:
EVA4400
RSM 5.0.118

I have searched for samples, examples, and even opened a software case with HP (which is currently at L2 with no answer), yet no one seems to be able to help me with this issue.

Every example I can find does everything I need it to do, except the steps are out of order.

Consider the Template in the RSM Template Selection -> Business Copy Templates for Host Volumes -> Replicate Host Volume(s), and Mount to a Host

It assigns some variables and validates some things, and then creates, presents, and mounts a snapshot. Great, that’s exactly what I need except I need to delete the old snapshot first.

Here is what I need to do in order:

1) UnmountHostVolume
2) DeleteHostVolume
3) DeleteStorageVolume
4) SnapshotHostVolume
5) PresentStorageVolume
6) DiscoverDiskDevices
7) CreateHostVolumeFromDiskDevices
8) MountHostVolume

Not:
1) SnapshotHostVolume
2) PresentStorageVolume
3) DiscoverDiskDevices
4) CreateHostVolumeFromDiskDevices
5) MountHostVolume
6) Pause
7) UnmountHostVolume
8) DeleteHostVolume
9) DeleteStorageVolume

The document "Replicating SQL daabase using EVA with RSM and Dbutil 4AA2-5627ENW.pdf" does the same thing, deletes the snap at the end of the job. I understand that these are samples but wouldn't the first step in a production job like that be to un-mount and delete the old snapshot?

I have everything working as expected except for the DeleteStorageVolume part. If you can’t name it when it’s created (by default all the snaps get named "dd-mmm-yyyy hh.mm.ss") how can you delete it later?

Does anyone know how I can figure out the name of the current snapshot via a job, or even better, name it what I want during the SnapshotHostVolume call so I can delete it later?

Thank you all in advance very much for your time and your help!

Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: RSM - Replicate Host Volume and Mount to a Host

I have not looked at this into detail, but from reading several comments I understood that multiple EVA snapshots operate more efficiently when the old(er) snapshot is deleted after a new(er) snapshot has been created.

Do these examples really expect that an older snapshot exist?
Rockingly
Occasional Contributor

Uwe - Thanx for the reply.

No, they do not expect an older snapshot.
Rockingly
Occasional Contributor

Maybe splitting it into 2 jobs will make it easier to understand what I need to do.

Job #1:
1) UnmountHostVolume
2) DeleteHostVolume
3) DeleteStorageVolume

Job #2:
1) SnapshotHostVolume
2) PresentStorageVolume
3) DiscoverDiskDevices
4) CreateHostVolumeFromDiskDevices
5) MountHostVolume

The problem is in Job #1 / Step 3 you need to know the name of the snapshot you want to delete, and in Job #2 / Step 1 there is no way to name the snapshot.

There in lies the rub, you can't delete it without the name but there is no way to name / rename it when it's created!