HPE EVA Storage

RSM v4, no presentation target found for the same host

Reparto Sistemi
Occasional Contributor

RSM v4, no presentation target found for the same host

I'm using rsm v4. It manage an eva4100 with a Win 2K3 x64 sp2 server.
I try to snapshot one virtual disk and mount it on the same host. The host is seen via rsm and discovered correctly and already have lun on the eva.
I created the job via the template: "Replicate host volume(s), mount to a host".
When I start the job I got the message :
"No presentation target found for enabled host" And the job stop.
If i'm using the same template and mount the snapshoot on a different presented host everything work fine..
Please help me !!
8 REPLIES 8
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: RSM v4, no presentation target found for the same host

Sorry, you can't. >> MS Windows << does not allow the same disk signature on two volumes at the same time.
You can only put the snap of the Windows volume on a different host.

However: If you find a scriptable program that can change the disk signature, you could *then* take the snap back and present it to the same host.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Reparto Sistemi
Occasional Contributor

there is a possible way to do it with 2 different job ?:
i mean, if i schedule one job for making the snapshot and a second one where i'll present it to the same host and then mount..
What do you think ?
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

No.

It doesn't matter how many jobs you have. Windows will not allow two disks with the SAME DISK SIGNATURE. If you need the copy on the same host, you first have to take it some place else and change the DISK SIGNATURE.

Go complain to Bill Gates. It's a Windows limitation.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

A modern Windows will just write a new signature and put an entry into the event log if you give it a snapshot or clone of an existing volume at the same time the original is present.

The current EVA compatibility reference says on page 15 for Windows 2003/2008:
"Mounting a host volume copy on the same host as the source[2] -- Y, except copies of Windows Cluster Quorum disks in the same cluster

[2] Mounting a host volume copy on the same host as the source is supported with HP Business Copy EVA and HP Replication Solutions Manager."
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

I'll be! Thanks for the reference, Uwe!

Luca, ignore everything I've said. Since it's reported as supported in the latest "HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array compatibility reference" (Part number: 5697-7677), contact HP Support and open a case.

If you would, reply back here eventually with the results from the support case.

Accept or Kudo

Reparto Sistemi
Occasional Contributor

I will sure open a case..

If i can mount,manualy, a snapshot on the same host, (and this sure work, coz i use to do often !!) suppose to be a way to do in a job way with RSM or HP OpenView ZDB...
hpite
Frequent Advisor

Hi luca or anyone,

did anyone manage to solve this problem as I face it too with the EVA4400, running xcs 09006000, cv 8 and rsm 4.0?

seems there is some problem with the job command PresentStorageVolumes (with the "s")
hpite
Frequent Advisor

I managed to solve this issue by including the user in the HP RSM host admin group. This allowed the RSM host agent the authority to mount the volume on the host server.