New Discussion юеВ

Re: Re-deploy old HP SAN 2/32 switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ray Allen_1
Frequent Advisor

Re-deploy old HP SAN 2/32 switch

Hi All,

We have 2 old HP SAN 2/32 switches that have been sitting on the shelf collecting dust for at least a year now. We are preparing to re-deploy both switches at a different location for a planned DR site.
Just trying to figure out what needs to be done to the switches before attaching the switches back in the existing fabrics.

I'm thinking I have to do
1. cfgdisable
2. cfgclear
3. cfgsave
4. Update firmware

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
switchdisable
configure
check if they have a unique domain ID (and all other basic fabric parametres identical with the fabric which they gonna join,
For the ISL (E-ports)- switch to switch interconnection it will be more stable if both sides port speed is not auto sense, but an appropriate speed selected.
the pain is one part of the reality
Ray Allen_1
Frequent Advisor

Just for clerification, the switched will be used at another site for DR. We currently A and B Fabrics local, and the 2 old switches will be C Fabrics.
Although I have not physical logged into the old switches yet, I am certain they still have the old configuration with the same domain id's.

I am almost certain I will have clear out the old configuration before I join the 2 old switches in the Fabric. Is this correct?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
are you going to use the CA? If yes, all switchess in all fabrics need to have the APTPolicy set to 1:
FCSW1:admin> switchdisable
FCSW1:admin> aptpolicy 1

http://h200003.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=es&cc=es&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=470490&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c00590193

I assume there will be 2 redundant fabrics across your 3 sites (A,B,C). In this case you are adding 1 "new" switch to each fabric.
In that case they both must have the unique domain id and all the fabric parametres identical with the original switches.

you should disable the effective cfg on the "new" switches (1 switch fabrics in the site C). After that they return to the nonzoning mode... After their ISL connection into the original redundant fabric the hosts/storages/libraries should be zoned/added to the effective configuration.

Ray Allen_1
Frequent Advisor

Yes, we will be using CA to another EVA at the othe site.
I haven't done this before, so I just want to clerify based on what you mentioned above.
I DON'T need to do;
cfgdisable
cfgclear
cfgsave

but just need to DO;
upgrade the firmware
swichdisble
set aptpolocy to 1
Once the switche is ISL'd into the existing Fabric, the hosts/storages/libraries WILL be zoned/added to the effective configuration.

OR do I need to do ALL The above before adding the switch to the Fabric.

IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
all the switches in the fabric must have one effective zone configuration.
Therefore if the old switches have their own effective zones, it must be disabled (or even cleared):
(see also
http://www.brocade.com/education_services/docs/BCAF_docs/04_53_1000853_01_
TroubleshootingGuide_v610.pdf)

After that, they will be as if they are the new nonzoned switches and they will join the fabric and get the effective zone information from there.
All its hosts/storages/libraries will be added to the effective zone config via zoning.
Del_3
Trusted Contributor

Ray, Clear and save the config before you merge. Set your unique domain ids on the 2/32 switches and your merge will be painless.

Also I dont believe that switch will allow the aptpolicy command, but it will tell you when you try to set it.