4965 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reboot HSV200 controller (EVA6000)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gijsbert

Reboot HSV200 controller (EVA6000)

We currently have an issue with our Command View it is unable to "see" our EVA. It looks like CV thinks both controllers are slaves. According to HP I have to reboot my master controller.

I have 10 VMware ESX servers attached to this EVA with 94 VM's. What kind of impact does a reboot have on my environment. Do I first have to shutdown all my ESX server "just to be sure" or can I just go ahead and reboot my master controller and the second controller will take over the connections?
6 REPLIES 6
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
if you have 2HBA in each ESX server, it should be EVA failover-aware, because the controller cold reboot occurs only at one controller, so only the 2 Front ports will not be available...
Other two will operate normaly after the EVA master controller swap its role to the slave controller...
the pain is one part of the reality
Gijsbert

Yes all my ESX server have two HBA.

So shutting down my ESX servers is a time wasting issue :).
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

a) If the ESX VM have all their disks as VMDSK files then it should be ok (but the ESX multipathing configuration should be checked for the redundant paths),
b) if the VDISK are dirrectly presented to VMs it should be checked if the VMs can handle the EVA controller reboot/swap to the slave controller...
the pain is one part of the reality
Gijsbert

All my multipath configs are checked. Well I better reboot my controller so that I can get back to managing my SAN.
Fernando Frediani

Gijsbert, did you reboot you master controller ? I have the same environment and need also to reboot my master controller due an issue on one of the FP ports. Wanted to know if the fail over happens immediately or if ESX takes a few seconds to notice and cause any disruption to the VMs.
Thanks
Fernando
Gijsbert

Fernando,

I did a reboot of the controller and my VM's we're not harmed but just to be safe we did decide to shutdown I/O intensive VM's (like Exchange / DB's etc etc).