4698 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reboot Sequence for msl, msa, and switch2/8

SOLVED
Go to solution
PNollOAS

Reboot Sequence for msl, msa, and switch2/8

We have 3 ml530's with emulex lp8000's connected to san switch 2/8, which is connected to a msl5026 and msa1000. One of the tape drives failed in the msl5026, shut it down, replaced the drive, powered it on, but now the ml530 used as the backup server does not see the msl5026, even after a restart.
Do I need to reboot the san switch - what is the correct boot\reboot sequence for the msl, msa, san switch, and servers?
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
shIVinator.
Valued Contributor

This is the order that you should bring up the hardware:

1: SAN Switches
2: MSL
3: Servers

Duane
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

The complete solution do not need to be rebooted for a disk replacement usualy.

I would suggest you first to log in the NSR via IP and see if the drive has been discovered and is UP. if not issue a parallel scsi discovery.
Once the drive is seen in the nsr and present in the map (be sure you have the new drive in the same position as before and with the same cabling and ID address or the map should be recreated to reflect new device) it should be automaticaly presented to the host.
PNollOAS

Thanks for the info. In the past, if there was work done on the msa or msl, I would restart all of the equipment to have them properly recognized. I'm trying to avoid doing that because it's causes a service disruption.
I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if I restart just the msl should it be recoginzed by the san switch and server, (currently the msl is not seen by the server), or, does the san switch need to be restarted as well, can I go into the san switch and restart the connection that the msl is on?
Santhosh D
Valued Contributor
Solution

Try to restart the Network Storage Router only...or Unplug the NSR and reseat it and then make sure the NSR is seen in Switch...if its seen in Switch, then u shld be good to go!

No need to reboot Switch in this scenario!
PNollOAS

That's it! Thanks to all.