108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Removing Disk Shelves from EVA8100

SOLVED
Go to solution
Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

Removing Disk Shelves from EVA8100

Currently we have 12 Disk shelves fully populated with disks in a single disk group and plenty of spare capacity. We are planning to remove 2 disk shelves and add them to a EVA6100.

Does anyone know how the RSS sets will be affected, are we compramising data availability. also do I remove shelf #6 and 13 or the last 2, i.e 12 and 13.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: Removing Disk Shelves from EVA8100

Eeehhhmm, but you have to UNGROUP the disks on those shelves before. As long as you have enough free space on the disk group to ungroup them...

Once all disks on the shelf are ungroupped, remove them and remove the shelf.
Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

Yes I do understand that I have to ungroup the disks, my main worry is how will the RSS sets be affected, will I lose any redundancy or will the EVA automatiacally recreate the RSS sets within the remaining 10 shelves.

Thanks
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Everytime you add or remove a disk from a disk group, the RSS are reorganized.
The EVA tries to make 8-disk RSSs, altough a RSS can contain 6 to 11 disks.
When you ungroup a disk, all data in it is moved to other disks, maintaining the redundancy of VRAID 1 and VRAID 5 data.
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
To answer the other part of the question then you should remove ONE shelf from each loop which in a 2C12D should be:
6 and 13 (or 14) as you mentioned.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your replies, just one more question is it good practice to ungroup one disk at a time or can I remove 8 in one go. I need to complete the whole process in the shortest time possible.

Thanks
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I believe HP recommend that you only ungroup ONE disk at a time PER disk group but others may know better or confirm this.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
the disk enclosure removal is an offline operation (the online removal is not supported)
the pain is one part of the reality