New Discussion юеВ

Removing EVA access to an unwanted WWN

SOLVED
Go to solution
Drenalen
Occasional Contributor

Removing EVA access to an unwanted WWN

Hi

I want to remove a WWN from being seen on one of our EVA's. Our fabric spans across two sites, and a wwn was accidentally added to an alias at the wrong site.

This then advertised the wwn to an EVA at the wrong site. Since removing the port/wwn from the alias in the san fabric, if i go to add a new port in the EVA it still appears in the list. Ive checked the zone config and there is no entry for this wwn in zone that can see this EVA.

While not causing any issues, i want to remove it so it doesnt get confused as an incorrect port later down the track.
5 REPLIES 5
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

Re: Removing EVA access to an unwanted WWN

If I get your status correct the wwn is not assigned to any host and actually EVA does not have access to that WWN,

the best way is to reboot EVA, after reboot you will not see the WWN in the list any more.

Or you can try to create a dummy host for that WWN.
Drenalen
Occasional Contributor

the wwn is from a host connecting to an EVA from another site, but not on the EVA in question. the wwn is no longer in any zone that can see this EVA so im not sure why it can still see it.

Rebooting the EVA is not an option.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The WWN is cached in the EVA now. There is no function to "remove" it aside from rebooting the EVA.

No function for you (the end user) that I know of anyway. There may be a service command that could be run, but you'd have to have HP do it.

If you are worried about the WWN being applied to something... just create a dummy host for now, assign the wwn and put a comment on it... "DO NOT USE!"

Otherwise... schedule a reboot of the EVA... and remember to delete the dummy host if you have created one.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Rajiv Kulkarni
Valued Contributor
Solution

The reason this occurs, is the EVA controllers will only poll a known WWN on startup. It does not poll known WWN's periodically.
SOLUTION:
There is three possible solutions.

1) Restart the whole EVA.
2) Resync the controllers from the FieldService Page.
3) Do a staggered reboot of the controllers. Reboot Controller 1, once this has comeback and joined the system. Reboot controller 2.
Drenalen
Occasional Contributor

Cheers guys