HPE EVA Storage

Replace MSA2000 controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Emilio Arjona

Replace MSA2000 controller

Hellos experts,
first of all, apologize for my bad english ;)

We need some help with our system:
MSA2312FC (dual controller) + MSA2000 enclosure connected via 2 expansion ports, one per controller.

We must replace one of the FC controllers of our MSA2312fc. We have read the replacement instructions provided by HP,but there is no mention about connected enclosures. Can we unplug the expansion cable of the broken controller, replace it, and re-plug the expansion cable without shuting down the system (hot replacement)? Will the new controller recognize the attached enclosure?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Replace MSA2000 controller

You won't be able to pull the controller with the SAS cable in place because of the handle won't fully open.

I would do the following:

1. - pull the dead controller
2. - disable partner update
3. - insert the new controller
4. - bring both to the same current firmware, one by one

In the past I did also the order 1,2,4,3,4 (update the remaining controller, insert the new, update the new) without problems.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Emilio Arjona

Thanks for your reply, Torsten.

Of course, the first step is pulling the SAS cable from the dead controller, replace the controller, and plug back the cable in the new one.

One last question, i cant't find what's the current firmware. Can you point me to the download page? It is safe to upgrade the firmware?

Best regards.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Please post a snapshot of the controller firmware revisions page.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Emilio Arjona

Ok.

This is the firmware page.

We are trying to simulate the replacement in a non-production cluster with another MSA22312fc.

He have changed the controller but after two hours the unit is still initializing (OK led blinking). Is this usual? We have configured RAID 6 over 8 disk in the enclosure. Could this configuration slow down the controller initialization?

Thanks again.
Emilio Arjona

Forget initalization problems. I was mixing G2 and G3 (different part number) controllers in the same enclosure. I suppose this is not a good idea, it seems not to work properly together (Handshake problems).

I have reinstalled the correct controller and all goes ok. Hope it works in the production server.