HPE EVA Storage

Requirements for data migration between EVAs

arkie
Super Advisor

Requirements for data migration between EVAs

Hi,

I need some expert inputs.

A existing EVA4000 2C4D is holding about 7.5-8 TB of production data (SAP R3). There is a plan to buy a new EVA6400 of 16 TB capacity and migrate the entire data from the old eva to the new one. My query is - what HP products (hardware or software)/solutions do we need to do this kind of migration between EVAs.

I request you expert's detailed inputs/pointers, so that I can start drafting the complete solution.

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Re: Requirements for data migration between EVAs

Hi, if the EVA4000 has been upgraded to the latest firmware (6220), you can set up a Continuous Acess replication between both EVAs.

If you install Command View 9.3 on a new server, you'll have a 60-days license that you can use to copy the data from the EVA4000 to the EVA6400.

You can also request a 45-days temporary license to your sales representative.

This way the data is being copied while the EVA4000 is still on use. When almost everything has been replicated, you switch off applications, then switch replication to synchronous mode, let the data on the log disks be copied to the other side, then do a failover and the server will see the same vdisks but from the EVA6400.
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Hi
You need HP StorageWorks Continuous Access EVA which will help you do this.
You can refer the below document to know morw about CA.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11617_div/11617_div.PDF

ColinF
Advisor

I did exactly what you will be doing about a year ago. Our EVA held VMware data stores and SQL databases mostly. I added the 6400 to the SAN fabric and then for VMware I used storage VMotion and for the SQL data I used continuous access and then scheduled a short period of downtime to bring down the SQL servers, unpresent the 4000 LUNs and present the new 6400 LUNs. I used the CA trial license as mentioned above, it worked very well and there was very little downtime.

The best way to accomplish this will depend on what type of applications/data you are moving.