1752738 Members
5134 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Retreive Serial numbers for EVA disks to a file

Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

Retreive Serial numbers for EVA disks to a file

Is there anyway I can retreive the serial numbers of all the disks on EVA8100 to a file, if yes can you please let me know how to do this.

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Rampy(Venu)
Frequent Advisor

Try executing these commands from SSSU
>LS DISK disk-name
>LS DISK_GROUP disk-group-name
>LS DISKSHELF disk-shelf-name

I haven't tried >ls disks which should give you all the details for the disks:--

Position WWID Model FW Version Capacity RSS ID RSS Index Name Disk Group Occupancy Occupancy Serial Number ALPA Poid

Let me know if this helps.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The serial number which is used for service obligation tracking is not stored electronically - just a sticker on the disk drive, sorry.
Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your replies, I tried the LS commands and it does not show me the serial numbers of the disks.

As for the second reply, the serial number I am after is the one that you can see within Command view when looking at the disk drive properties

Thanks
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

disktype .......: fibre_channel_disk
serialnumber ...: J4X9Y???

fibre_channel_disk
J4X9Y???
Marek K─Щdziora
Occasional Advisor

> disktype .......: fibre_channel_disk
> serialnumber ...: J4X9Y???

Hi!
Would you be so kind and share how did you manage to retrieve this information?
Thx.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hi Marek,

if you check the previous replies you'll see that we've used SSSU (Storage System Scripting Utility). There is an extra manual in the CV-EVA documentation.
Marek K─Щdziora
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Unfortunatelly serial number field is missing in my 'ls disk full' command output. That's why I asked - probably the problem lays in the firware version.
BR
Marek K─Щdziora
Occasional Advisor

I think that the only thing that I can do is to check disk one by one. It's not possible to turn off EVA so I have to do this online. I wonder how to do this without interrupting EVA's work.
BR
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Maybe the disk drive serial number isn't displayed until a later XCS or CV version?

If you want to read the serial numbers physically and online you can take one disk out at a time - read or take a picture of the s/n - and put disk back in with 60 seconds (then disk will revert back into the disk group and reconstruct will not have started). I wouldn't do it too fast either btw, to give the disks a little time to spin down/up.