5363 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Running out of assigned space on server

Edwin C
Occasional Contributor

Running out of assigned space on server

I am a novice in this.I am currently having a single enclosure of P2000

Suppose if I have pre-assigned and presented to my server(windows 2008) enterprise, say 100GB, after 2 months of use, I run out of space on my, would I be able to dynamically extend my space ,i.e add space to my existing drive without compromising the original 100GB that's already assigned?

3 REPLIES 3
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

I believe you can.

If the P2000 can increase the size of the presented "disk" to your Win2K8 server -- then Win2K8 should ecognise the new size of the "disk" via a simple scan.

Then to extend the NTFS on top of the disk... you simply grow it using the local storage applet. It should be safe IMHO.

Hakuna Matata.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Extending should not be a problem in windows 2008 like Alzhy said.

Be aware that extending disks take a bit of time. About 15minutes per gigabyte.
Proliant VMS San Mgrs
Frequent Advisor

Edwin,

As usual, it depends. I am not familiar with the P2000, but with EVA6000 (running XCS 6.2 and CVEVA 9.3) it works fine with both Win 2008 and Win 2008R2.

You go into CVEVA (or similar utility for P2000, don't know), select the VDISK, and increase the size. Wait until the icons turn green again.

You open Computer Manager MMC, under storage right-click on Disk Management, select rescan. You will then see the unused space.

If you are new to this game, make sure your MPIO DSM and MPIO DSM manager are up to date.
Problems Solved