4431 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN COPY

SAN Works
Advisor

SAN COPY

Hi experts,

I have physical server with eva disk and I need to migrate the data to Virtual servers which is running top of vmware with xp disk ,do we have any option of copying the data through SAN....any soluton available for this
7 REPLIES 7
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, depends on your firmware/software/licences ;-) Best scenario, make a container, put a mirrorclone in it, fracture the clone link, re-present the mirror to the new server, job done data moved.

Not everybody has a BC License on his/her EVA (although marketing might like this ;-).

I think he wants to do a P2V (physical to virtual) into a VMware ESX environment that is attached to a HP XP storage array...

Some vendors offer kind-of migration services with in-band virtualizers, but afterwards the data is not stored in a VMFS - it must be mapped though RDMs instead.
ks6542
Valued Contributor

Venkat do you mean to say you want to migrate your EVA lun to XP?
Santhosh D
Valued Contributor

Hey Venkat...

If you want to copy the EVA LUN Data to the new Virtual server, you can just create a Snapshot of the EVA LUN and then present it to a VM as a RDM (Can be both Virtual or Physical too)...

Or you can share the Data on the Network...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

A snapshot is not a good migration mechanism, because it is still tied to the original vdisk. Nothing prevents you from mapping the original vdisk via an RDM to the VM as part of the P2V process - don't forget to unpresent the original server before the VM mounts the file system for the first time.

Of course, this does not help if the data has to end up on a HP XP storage array...
SAN Works
Advisor

Thread is closed - allocated eva and xp luns to same sever and did a windows mirror then broke it and presented the luns to vmware server as Raw disk.
SAN Works
Advisor

closed