1753404 Members
7407 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SAN SWITCH CONNECTION

SamirShrestha
Frequent Advisor

SAN SWITCH CONNECTION

I'm trying to connect DC and DR with two Brocade 8/24 8G SAN switch via fiber cable.On both site, SAN switch is configure with HP storage work EVA4400 and configured on HP Proliant DL380G6 server. On both storgare installed Command view EVA HP Continuouse Access license and Snapshot license.Now I want to install RSM for replication. Can I connect two SAN switch directly with fiber cable? Do I need license for interlink switch connection? Both SAN switch has 8G SFP transceivers.What configuration should I've to change in SAN switch?
12 REPLIES 12
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

yes you can connect them without any additional licenses. Only if you want to trunkt two or more links between to switches to a virtual link, so called trunk, you need the trunking license. Depending on the distance you maybe need long-wave transceivers. With short-wave transceivers it depends on the fibre cable:

2 GB OM2 cable - 300m OM3 cable - 500m
4 GB OM2 cable - 150m OM3 cable - 380m
8 GB OM2 cable - 50m OM3 cable - 150m

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
SamirShrestha
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Patrik,

When I trying to connect 2 SAN swith with 6 meter fiber cable with 8GB SFS trnsceiver on both side of switches, It glow orange LED blinking in switch. So, there is no connection between switches can established.I've set all default setting in both SAN switches.Do i need to confugre in SAN switches? Please advise should i can do for this conenction establishment?

SamirShrestha
Frequent Advisor

I'm trying to connect two SAN switches with 5m Multi-Mode OM3 LC/LC FC cable. But there is not green LED glow in both switches. LED is just blinking in orange color.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

which LED is blinking amber? This can mean, that the switch is disabled, a zone or PID conflict or the port is disabled or a problem during bootup. Check the webfrontend of the switches. There you will find more details about this error.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
AWilliams_1
Trusted Contributor

If these are new switches then they probably both have the same domain ID. You will need to change one of them so it is different to the other (default is 1). You change this in switch admin.
Another possibility is that if they are re-used switches then they each have their own zoning database. You will have to clear the zone database on one of them to allow it to connect into the fabric of the other switch.
SamirShrestha
Frequent Advisor

Yes, LED blink in amber because of same domain name in both SAN switches.

Now when I connect the 5m multi-mode OM3 LC/LC FC cable in Short wave tranceivers, it show connection with Green LED blink.But when I connect same cable in 4G Long Wave tranceiver, it doesn't blink LED any color. That means this cable with logn wave tranceiver doesn't work.
For long wave tranceiver does it required special cable? Any other configuration required for LW FC tranceiver?
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

You can't mix SW and LW components.
You need a Long-Wave Transceiver for LW Cable. But that's only if the distance between switches is longer than 150m (if you have OM3 cables and want 8Gbit)
What does the switch say when you connect the SW cable? (switchshow)
Does it form a fabric? (fabricshow)
SamirShrestha
Frequent Advisor

Now I'm trying to connect the two san switches with distance of about 15 km with two HP 4G LW B-series FC SFP in both end of switch.What kind of fiber cable do i need to lay down ? What kind of bandwidth required for such direct connection with two san switches?
manivisu

Longwave SMF cable can be used for direct switch-to-switch connections up to
100 km at 1 Gbps, or 35 km at 2 Gbps. The cable must be duplex tight-buffered
SMF 9/125 μm (Belcore GR-409 or ITU G.652) compliant. The connectors must
be SC duplex low-metal (NTT-SC Belcore 326 or IEC-874-19 SC) compliant.
The same longwave SMF cable is also used for most WDM applications. Contact
your WDM vendor for exact requirements.