New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN Switch connection

SOLVED
Go to solution
Timo Steylen
Advisor

SAN Switch connection

Hello,
i want to expand two fabrics (each has one switch) with another switch per fabric. i want to connect one switch to another switch on port 15. The only things i can think about to do are set the correct IP adres, name the switch and set the unique domain ID and plug in the interlink cable. do i need some other configurations as well to sync the zoning/aliases etc or will this automatically be done?

many thanks
9 REPLIES 9
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

The switch you're going to add must not have any zoning configuration defined. It will copy the existing one.
They must also have compatible firmware versions. As long as one is not much older than the other, it should work. Check the release notes of the firmware version to see with which ones it can be connected.
Timo Steylen
Advisor

the current switches have firmware v5.0.1b. The new switches have firmware 6.2.0g. I want to upgrade the current switches also to 6.2.0g. The EVA 4000 has firmware 6000, do i need to upgrade the eva as well to 6200?
if i upgrade the eva, do i need to upgrade CVE to v7 or v8?
many thanks
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
SAN Works
Advisor

Timo Steylen
Advisor

thanks all,

but i still do not know if 6.2.0g works with the 6000 on the EVA4000.
I try the spoc knowledge base but it doesn't show firmware versions, only switch models...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I've had a customer who was running two EVA-8000 for some months with XCS 6.000 and FOS 6.2.0b -- I would not expect problems with 6.2.0g.

But you really, really, really should upgrade from XCS 6.000, because you can get data corruption if the EVA runs out of space in a disk group.
Timo Steylen
Advisor

i will upgrade the EVA4000 within 3 weeks...

But i must upgrade the switches, else i can't connect the old with the new switches (The new switches are already on 6.2.0g).

Is there a site where you can find which firmware versions works together? This customer has also Qlogic QMH2406 firmware 4.04.06. I do not know if the EVA with XCS 6.000 and the HBA's and the swicthes on FOS 6.2.0g works together. As i said before, on the spoc database i can't find it...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> firmware 4.04.06

Watch out - the QLogic adapters have an on-board RISC-processor. The software for this processor is called 'firmware' and the bits usually are loaded from the operating system's device driver (there is also a version on-board for some diagnostic functions).

If you are looking via the System Management Homepage, check the "Options ROM" value. Or on a VMware ESX driver it is the "BIOS" value:
# cat /proc/scsi/qla2300/1
..... Firmware version: 3.03.19, Driver version 7.08-vm33.3

Boot Code Version:
..... BIOS : v1.45, Fcode : v0.00, EFI : v0.00
(no, this is not from a QMH ;-)