1753792 Members
3253 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN dissappeared

Camerons
Occasional Contributor

SAN dissappeared

I've got an Acer Server running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 with an QLOGIC QL2310 FC card. I've got an Sun Storedge 3511FC directly connected to it. Something very odd has happened and I'm just trying to get an idea of what direction I should be looking at.

I should say before I get into this that all this equipment is used and I got it because we recently upgraded our backend systems.

On the SAN I deleted the existing configuration and created an single 12 Disk RAID 5 4.7TB config with 1 drive for spare. I created the logical volume and mapped it to a HOST LUN.

I then connected this to the Windows server mentioned above and restarted. The SAN was picked up instantly and was auto partitioned with MBR to 2 x 2TB (approx) partitions.

I changed the partitioning scheme to GPT and created an single 4.7TB partition while formatting an message box appeared saying memory allocation error and the SAN disappeared from disc manager.

When I connected to the SAN, the HOST LUN had been unmapped and the Logical Volume deleted.

I've since taken the existing FC card setup the equipment in a Window Server 2008 machine. The SAN will not pick up.

I've got an brand FC card with another used cable and installed it into the original ACER server. I also deleted the logical drive and created and brand RAID 5 HD array with 1 drive as spare, created the logical drive and mapped it to the HOST LUN on the SAN. Upon restart the SAN still will not register in the Disk Manager.

I'm running out idea's and would appreciate some help.

I will also say that the FC Card does pick up the SAN physically as the light goes from orange to green when connected, but SAN will not be detected in Windows.

Any idea's, please help...
2 REPLIES 2
Brian M Welch
Frequent Advisor

So, in disk management, if you rescan for disks you see no LUNS presented?
Camerons
Occasional Contributor

Exactly. I've restarted countless times, refresh and rescan disks and it has yet to reappear.