New Discussion юеВ

SAN upgrade path

SOLVED
Go to solution
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

SAN upgrade path

Hi!
I have a SAN with 5.3.1a FabricOS on all switches. Now i should upgrade it to higher version of FOS. I see two ways to upgrade:

1. Fabric A: upgrade each switch to 6.0.1a, then eact switch to 6.1.2b, etc, to latest version then continue to Fabric B.

2. Fabric A: upgrade one switch to 6.0.1a then to 6.1.2b, etc, to the latest version. Continue with the next one, and so on until the last switch in fabric; then continue the same procedure with Fabric B.

How do you think, which way is preferred?

Regards,
Philipp.
7 REPLIES 7
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: SAN upgrade path

Raise all switches in the fabric one version, then raise them all another level. Repeat as needed.
HP Data Center Fabric Manager Enterprise and Professional Plus will take all the switches in a fabric and raise them in parallel. Look at http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/dc_fabricmgr/index.html for more information. You can use the Professional version, however it will only manage one fabric at a time. Once you upgrade all switches on Fabric A, you would need to remove them from the DCFM Pro, tell it about all the Fabric B switches, and repeat the process.

-----
Don't forget to rate the usefulness/quality of *all* responses to (not just this but *all* of) your question(s).

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Thanks for comprehensive answer, Sheldon!

Regards,
Philipp.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Once I've seen weird problems when upgrading many switches (like 7-8 it was in this case if I don't remember wrong) in parallel.

I believe the recommendation we got then was to upgrade them one step, one by one. Or at least to upgrade one switch from each model you have.
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Thanks for information, Johan, actually i have no DCFM, and i'm going to upgrade all switches by hand.

Regards,
Philipp.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

GOod luck!

HP Has a tool that they may be able to provide you that can help you out with the upgrade process. It is called SAN Loader.

WIth this you do not have to install an FTP/SCP server.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Storage-Area-Networks-SAN/SAN-loader-utility/m-p/4109173#M28531

If you contact HP support they may be able to provide it to you.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You can define multiple fabrics in DCFM professional and select one at a time as the active one. It doesn't make sense for monitoring, but maybe if you upgrade large fabrics one at a time.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor