1752572 Members
4598 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN zoning with 4gb FC VC modules

Jonathan Paul_1
Occasional Advisor

SAN zoning with 4gb FC VC modules

I am looking for advice on san zoning with 4gb fc virtual connect modules.
I have:
c7000 with 4 bl680's
eva4400
4 vc-enet and 2 4gb vc fc modules
2 hp brocade san switches

Obviously this is in test phase, but currently I just have one zone on each switch. Created an alias for all 6 wnn's and put them all in a single zone. From what I have read this is not best practice, but am confused on how things works with the virtual connects.

Do I want 5 zones on each switch ? One zone (4 total) for each wnn coming out of the hba and then another for the 2 connections to the SAN ?

Any advice is appreciated!
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Create single-initiator (=blade) / single-target (= EVA-4400 controller-port) zones - so a total of 8 zones per fabric. This is:
1. required for the EVA-4400
2. today's best practice
Jonathan Paul_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response, that is where I was going from what I had read, but wanted to verify. One question I do have is that I currently only have six cables plugged into each san switch and you mentioned 8 zone, with 6 cables wouldn't I only have six zones ?

And then currently when I do a portshow 'portnumber' on my san switches, I see 2 wnn's logged into each of the initiator ports, is this because I am using virtual connects ?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Cables?

You wrote you have four BL680c. If each one has an FC mezzanine card it means 4 WWNs per fabric. These are the initiators.

The EVA-4400 has two controllers, each with two host ports. C1/Port_1 and C2/Port_1 go into the first fabric - C1/Port_2 and C2/Port_2 go into the second fabric. Those are two target WWNs per fabric.

BL1/1->C1/1
BL1/1->C2/1
BL2/1->C1/1
BL2/1->C2/1
BL3/1->C1/1
BL3/1->C2/1
BL4/1->C1/1
BL4/1->C2/1
---------
eight zones in first fabric.

BL1/2->C1/2
BL1/2->C2/2
BL2/2->C1/2
BL2/2->C2/2
BL3/2->C1/2
BL3/2->C2/2
BL4/2->C1/2
BL4/2->C2/2
---------
eight zones in second fabric.

My guess is that you have aggregated two initiator ports on that VC port. Can you store the output of the 'portshow' command in a little .TXT file and attach it?
Jonathan Paul_1
Occasional Advisor

Attached is the portshow for 2 of the 4 ports that are connected to the vc modules.

Ok things are starting to make sense, your diagram really helps. So if this sounds right I think I am on the right track.

Create 8 zones per switch. In each zone place 2 aliases, one initiator and a san target, obviously giving each initiator a link to both san targets on each switch, resulting in a total of 8 zones.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

In some/most cases it is also acceptable to create only four zones..

z1:Blade1, ControllerAport1, ControllerBPort1
z2:Blade2, ControllerAport1, ControllerBPort1
z3:Blade3, ControllerAport1, ControllerBPort1
z4:Blade4, ControllerAport1, ControllerBPort1

This would require a little less management and should not cause any zoning related problems, at the cost of less granular control over singling out a specific path to your storage.

Either way works well and I have never see any issues with this since technically it is the same storage array. Just don;t mix storage arrays and/or tape devices in the same zones.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Steven, there is an EVA-4400 involved...
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I am all for better, more granular control over my SAN environment.

;o)
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)