1753901 Members
8856 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

SMA Command View upgrade path

Steve Smock

SMA Command View upgrade path

Hello,

I’ve been tasked with upgrading our current San Management Appliance and Command View. I’m very new to the EVA and SAN technology in general. I’ve registered for the accelerated SAN essentials course but that class isn’t until the 1st week of May and my deadline for having the upgrade done is May 30th so I’m trying to gather as much information to start planning. Our current environment is an EVA 3000, 2 controllers (HSV100, SR0025runp-3110), 4 disk enclosures, running SMA 2.1.0.2 and Command View 6.0.2.37 on a Windows 2000 Server.

My intentions are to create a virtual machine with Windows 2008 Server, install the latest EVA software suite, and find a way cut over to the new machine. Is this a possible route? Can you bring down one server with command view, then bring up a new server and manage the EVA with the newer command view? Also, I noticed on the current SMA there are fibre connections that are zoned to the controllers but on the Windows 2000 box it appears as unknown devices. Are fibre connections needed from the server running Command View to the controllers?

Thanks,
Steve
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: SMA Command View upgrade path

For any command view version >6 you need to get and install a LTU - get it from HP.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Steve Smock

Hi Torsten, thanks for the response. I read in the EVA Installation guide about the licensing and was planning on using the instant-on license key that should be good for 60 days. Before I move it into production I plan to have the license in order.
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Windows 2000-based SMAs are obsolete. The recomendation is to format and reuse that server. You cannot use Command View on a virtual machine to administrate an EVA3000. You need to install Windows 2003 or 2008 on the server used as SMA now, and then Command View 9.3.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00677166/c00677166.pdf

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00677373/c00677373.pdf

You can format the server with Command View, there's nothing stored locally that's not also on the EVA.

You have to install HP drivers for the fiber channel card, so EVA controllers appear with the correct name.

As stated above, you need licenses issued on a new format for Command View 7 and above.